Menu
gamester182
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Changing home phone number

Hi. I am experiencing an increasing amount of cold calls and scam calls to my home phone number. We have looked online but can find nowhere in the VirginMedia control panel where we can initiate a phone number change request. Is that change service available via staff members on this forum or somewhere else?

0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Changing home phone number

VM forum staff can arrange a number change for you but it may not achieve what you want.

The scam/cold calls are generated automatically by dialling software which works its way through groups of numbers in sequence making connections. Even if you get a new number, it will still be subject to this automated process. Refer below for a recent post where a recently-changed number received nuisance calls soon after it was put into use

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Is-it-not-a-bit-embarrassing-for-Virgin/td-p/4577537

Any 'new' number will actually be recycled from a pool of numbers allocated to VM. It may previously have been used for business purposes or may have been abandoned by someone else because of nuisance calls.

The best way to deal with the automated calls, and still keep normal use of your phone line and phone number, is to use a call screening device such as trueCall or a phone which has those features such as the 'Premium' range of phones from BT which incorporate trueCall technology.

gamester182
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ah, I wasn't aware of any of that. I looked up true call and how it works and that makes much more sense than changing the number and hoping to receive less calls. A fairly inexpensive option is the BT 4600, so I've ordered that and will collect it from a local store later. Thank you very much for the advice.

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi gamester182,

Thank you for posting on the Community Forums.

I'm sorry to hear you've been receiving scam calls, we appreciate they can be frustrating and at times concerning. We do all we can to filter out scam numbers however some can still fall through the net which is pretty much beyond our control.

Please do let us know how things go with the new handset in place and if this helps.

Kindest regards,

Beth

0 Kudos