Menu
JJ84
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Changing Landline Number

Is there a direct number or email I can contact about changing my landline number please? I have tried calling 150 from my landline but none of the options really fit and I just keep getting redirected back to the main menu or online. 
Thanks.

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changing Landline Number

Good Morning JJ84,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to see you've been struggling to get in touch with our team. I can seek to have this altered for you, if you wish?

What I would advise is that there is a £25.00 charge for this service. We would also need to ensure that the balance on the account is clear as this will prevent us from also making the change.

If you're happy to proceed with this request, drop a response below and we'll seek to get the ball rolling 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Stevel52
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I follow this with interest as I have very recently returned to the Virgin fold, having abandoned my Virgin landline number some years back.
I decided that I would take advantage of a recent promotion by Virgin to restore my landline capability mainly on the proviso that I could have my ‘old’ number back. Several agents checked and assured me that it would be no problem, other than I would have to wait several days after installation for the number to be transposed. I was given a ‘temporary’ number by the engineer to use in the meantime.
Two days later I receive a text informing me that the required number has been disconnected by the provider and I was to resort to using the ‘new temporary’ number.
Is the system that inflexible in this day and age or was it just easier to ‘palm me off’, with an implausible text?
0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stevel52,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a warm welcome to you!

Sorry to see of the confusion caused over your landline services.

Can you please elaborate on the part where you say "has been disconnected by the provider" - are you referring to a different company when you state this or are you referring to Virgin Media?

If this was a different company, I'd advise going back to them to see if they can regain the phone number and re-active your phone line so we can port the number over to Virgin Media.

If you were referring to business you've done with Virgin Media only, my understanding is that if a customer has our services and then disconnects the phone line, we cannot guarantee the phone number would return to the customer, if they chose to reconnect it at a later date. 

It phone number be released and eventually picked up back another customer as all landline numbers are eventually recycled.

Kindest regards.

David_Bn

Stevel52
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

Forty years ago when we moved to our house we had a BT number.

Years past and we had that number transferred to our, what was then our NTL account; now Virgin. That was used over many years, and then we left Virgin and dispensed with out landline, as many people did then, with the onset of mobiles.

Having now returned to the fold, I was assured that retrieval of the original number was possible as it appeared not to been taking up,

The text message stated the the number requested had been disconnected by the provider. Now I assumed that the provider was NTL / Virgin, but maybe it was BT. Would they still have a right or control of the number even after all these years?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

From what you have describe the number was originally a BT number and then transferred to VM, when you disconnected the phone the number would have gone back to BT and then after a short period of time will be handed back to openreach to go back in the pool of available numbers.

I am sorry but the info you were given was not right, The ofcom rules are quite clear, that a number can only be ported if it is active.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Stevel52
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.

As that’s the case, I can live with that. Thank you for your time and very quick responses. Saves hours listening to mind numbing piped music on 150!

0 Kudos