cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed to Fibre from Analogue - Phone doesn't ring.

littlepixel
Tuning in

We've been forced to swap from our analogue landline to IP phone Fibre (ie a dongle in the back of our router etc) and though the fibre landline seems to work (gets dial tone, calls out) it doesn't ring when called. 

If I call the landline from my mobile and pick up (knowing it should be ringing) the connection is made and it's a perfectly serviceable call - but it just doesn't ring at all, so it's basically useless if anyone wants to call us on it.

The receiver we have is pretty old (non cordless), and reading around my hunch is the dongle/router isn't supplying enough voltage to activate the ringer.

We've only really kept it because our aging parents don't like to call mobiles (!) - so don't really want to have to go out and buy a new handset since it barely ever gets used and the reciever worked perfectly on analogue.

Anyone have any clues on why it's not ringing?

11 REPLIES 11

Thanks for your insights - very useful. Technician came and confirmed it was our handset, (no mention of a £25 callout which is good as I didn't specifically ask for a callout - they just sort of invited themselves). Have bought a £10 Argos cheapy and it's fine though not as cool as our 80s BT Tribune phone and has a truly awful ring with no volume control. Oh well. No-one ever rings except scammers anyway 🙂

Hi littlepixel,

I'm pleased to hear that you were able to get to the bottom of the issue and have replaced your handset 🙂

If there's anything else we can help you with please do let us know.

Kind regards

Beth