cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change to phone line

ajcamg
Joining in

No doubt in line with many other VM customers, I have just been told that during November my home phone line will be switching from the old copper line (which I presume was managed by BT) to VM's own fibre line. Please correct me if I'm wrong with anything there. But that being so, if I will no longer have a 'land line', why am I required to continue paying for one? Just a bit puzzled there.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Vinegar
Up to speed

Despite a common misconception, the ‘old copper’ lines never had anything to do with BT, in your case they are and always have been wholly owned by VM.

But the badly phrased ‘landline charge’ was never, ever to pay for the upkeep of the physical wires but rather to pay for the maintenance of the underlying systems, allocation of a number etc.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi ajcamg,

thanks for posting 🙂

You can find more information regarding the home phone switchover here

Despite adjustments we've made to the landline setup on your property, the underlying infrastructure and services that were previously necessary are still relevant and in use, which is why a line rental fee continues to apply.

Alex_Rm

Vinegar
Up to speed

Despite a common misconception, the ‘old copper’ lines never had anything to do with BT, in your case they are and always have been wholly owned by VM.

But the badly phrased ‘landline charge’ was never, ever to pay for the upkeep of the physical wires but rather to pay for the maintenance of the underlying systems, allocation of a number etc.