cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change to fibre phone

Andy_J
Joining in

Hi team,

Just been sent an adapter and instructions that my landline will change to fibre and I must plug my home phone into my hub using the adapter if I want to use my phone. 

only problem is that my phone is in my hall and the hub in my daughters room!! So effectively does that mean if I want to use my phone I have to use it in my daughters room from now on?!?

If that is the case then it’s useless and your upgrade has removed my ability to use the phone! 😳

Can I get cost of the phone removed from my bill? 

Thanks. 

Andy

12 REPLIES 12

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Andy_J 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the community forum, it's great to have you back.

I'm so sorry for the issue regarding your phone and we would be happy to advise from here. 

We don't handle package changes via the forums, but if you would like to discuss a package without the phone line our teams on 0345 454 1111 will be more than happy to take a look for you. 

We can also have an appointment booked via the forums, to have an engineer come and move the Hub to another area or take a look at the cabling so the phone can be used outside of your daughters room.

If you would like me to take a look into that with you then please let me know and I'll be more than happy to pop you a Private Message.

Thanks for your response. 

I had the Hub put in my daughters room so it is central in the house and the WiFi is good everywhere. I don’t want it sitting by my front door. That is where I wanted my phone. 

I don’t want to move the Hub so I guess I’m stuck with two options; put the phone in my daughters room or not have a phone anymore. It will have to be the later. 

Im sure there are other people in the same situation as I doubt many people have their Hub where they want their phone. I know the old lady opposite me is in the same situation but as she doesn’t have a mobile to rely on she has had to put her phone in her spare room where her Hub is. 

It’s great VM have fibre but not sure requiring your phone to be plugged into your Hub has been properly thought out. 

I’ll attempt to renegotiate my VM package now I don’t have a phone. 

Thanks anyway. 

Andy

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response there, 

So with the appointment the technician will be able to connect the Hub and phone with leaving them in the same position.

To get this sorted I've dropped you a PM.

The message will appear within the envelope icon.

Regards,

Kain

bushlyme
Tuning in

Not really a reply, but same problem. I will NOT have my hub or phone moved. Nor will I have a cable connection traipsing around the house. Ringing 150 is a waste of time because there is no option for this subject. The adapter sent me is useless because even if the hub and the phone were close enough to be touching, the cable is not long enough. How do I get a technician to come and sort the problem?

George Bush

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Your options might be a bit limited with the conditions you have set.

It is possible to keep the equipment in the same locations by modifying the existing phone wiring but how much wiring and modification is involved depends on your existing setup and cable routes.

The alternative (but at a cost to you) is to use a cordless phone system. Plug the cordless base station into the VM hub and use cordless phones around the home as required.

Afraid I omitted to mention that I already have a cordless phone system and it is the base station that needs to stay where it is. I suspect I shall have to give up my land line although my mobile is not a smart phone and as I am well past my sell - by date I do not intend to buy one ( and don't get me started on that one !!). 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi bushlyme,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Just as stated above by @goslow, we can arrange an appointment for this.

Let us know if you're okay with this and I'll drop a PM.

Regards,

Kain

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Many people assume that you need access to the base station to pick up messages but, with most modern cordless systems, you can have full control of the answering machine from a remote handsets and get warnings about waiting messages and missed calls on the display of a remote handset.

If you need another handset, to go in the location where the base station used to live once it is connected to the hub, it is usually possible to add in another remote handset to make up the numbers. Many cordless systems will take up to 4 handsets linked to the base. Depending on the age of the system you may be able to buy from new or find one to match your existing setup from the likes of eBay.

If your cordless system has 'GAP compatible' phones then another GAP compatible handset could be added but might have just basic functions. Adding another handset from the same manufacturer might be the best approach.

Or consider the option for VM to do some phone socket rewiring as has been offered by Kain_W.

An appointment would be fine, thank you