forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
AlexanderMTTH
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Change an existing LANDLINE number

Hello. 

Is there a clear procedure to change your landline number? 

And if so, is there a choice in numbers? Like from a list or something? 

Can it be done online, if so? 

Thanks and regards,
Alexander
0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Change an existing LANDLINE number

@AlexanderMTTH wrote:

Hello. 

Is there a clear procedure to change your landline number? 

Yes - you phone VM

And if so, is there a choice in numbers? Like from a list or something? 

No. You just get the next number in the pool

Can it be done online, if so? 

No it can't

Be aware all VM telephone numbers are recycled. They have all been used before. So if you are thinking this is a way of avoid junk calls, think again. If, however, you are escaping your creditors or an angry ex-business partner, go ahead.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

HI HI AlexanderMTTH. thanks for the message, we would be able to change it but you would get the next available number ^Chris. 

AlexanderMTTH
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Howard
HI Chirs

Thank you both for your input. The reason for this is SPAM calls. I keep reporting them to ICO but not much seems to diminish those in the last 2 years. On the contrary, I feel an increase in those calls.

The reason I asked since I'm changing my old-forever number, might as well get a nice, easy to remember one. I would be willing to pay a bit for it, but I want it easy to remember. 🙂

Thanks and take care.
Thanks and regards,
Alexander
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

you can't pick a number. that would be a massive security risk.

Most spam calls are from outside the UK so ICO rules don't apply and they are normally called at random my a auto dialer so they are almost impossible to avoid
AlexanderMTTH
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi.

Thanks for your message. Your input is really appreciated. 

I understand that might be the case, as security might be a factor in selecting a landline phone number. 

However, all digital landline provider can and allow (almost promote) picking a landline number. (e.g. Skype, Vectone, Google Voice <US> etc.)

Which then, you can port out from their company to a landline, should you choose to do so? This has been done in the US, UK and in some countries on the continent.  Whist I think security might be a factor, I do not feel is the determinant one, in this particular example. But I'm more than open to see an aspect of this request, beyond my own opinion or experience. 

I would suggest to Google "pick your landline number" and see how much this is promoted. I'm not sure all of them, but I guarantee a couple of years ago I've ported out a Skype landline number to a BT non-virtual phone. GDPR might now prevent this, but this was tested, executed and accomplished successfully two years ago, max. 

AlexanderMTTH_0-1593619700152.png

Although if it can be done virtually why would it be such a major risk factor? More so that VM uses the router for this landline numbers, hence, I assume they are VOIP-ish as well as the one in the above example. Am I wrong? 

Thanks and regards,
Alexander
0 Kudos