cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change allocated home phone number

SJCordery
Joining in

We have recently taken out a VM contract which includes a home phone number. When I added it to my mobile phone contacts, it came up with a company as the name. I Googled the phone number and it is listed on multiple sites under the company name. This is obviously far from ideal. Is it possible to get VM to change the number? It would be really useful to get the BT number that we had up until 6 months ago (same area code).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi SJCordery, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear your assigned number is linked to a previous company. Usually numbers that are recycled spend some time disconnected. Have you had any calls relating to the company or are you just worried that this could potentially start happening? We can look to change the number for you however it's worth noting that the same thing may happen. 

In terms of moving a number over from BT, we can only do this if the line is still active with BT. If you've already cancelled this with them then you wouldn't have the option of moving this over I'm afraid. 

If you're not getting calls currently then there isn't a need to change the number just now. It may be worth waiting and if you do start to receive calls then we can look to change the number for you. 

Keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi SJCordery, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact us via the Community. It's lovely having you on board with us in the Forums.

We're sorry to hear your assigned number is linked to a previous company. Usually numbers that are recycled spend some time disconnected. Have you had any calls relating to the company or are you just worried that this could potentially start happening? We can look to change the number for you however it's worth noting that the same thing may happen. 

In terms of moving a number over from BT, we can only do this if the line is still active with BT. If you've already cancelled this with them then you wouldn't have the option of moving this over I'm afraid. 

If you're not getting calls currently then there isn't a need to change the number just now. It may be worth waiting and if you do start to receive calls then we can look to change the number for you. 

Keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Kath.
Many thanks for such a swift and helpful answer.
When we knew that we would be moving twice in a relatively short space of time, we got a separate virtual landline. However, we made the mistake of not transferring our BT landline number over to the virtual landline at the time so got a new number.
When we signed up for our VM package, the phone was included so we thought that we might be able to use that alongside or instead of our virtual one. However, we hadn't bothered connecting a handset to the VM phone socket until yesterday when I gave it a try to see what the number was, so we don't know whether inheriting the old company's number will be an issue or not.
In the circumstances, I think that we will leave the VM phone dormant as we have given out the virtual number as our main contact number and are very happy with the cost, service, and functionality of the virtual landline. It is a shame that we can't get our old BT number back but never mind.
Thanks again.

Hi SJCordery, 

That's no problem at all. If you do decide to just use the VM landline instead then and you start getting unwanted calls then pop back and we can arrange to get the number changed for you. 

We're here if you have any other issues with your services too. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team