Menu
matth77
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Change Landline Number

Due to the amount of Nuisance Calls we are getting, despite having been registered with TPS for many years, I would like to change our Landline number.

Can someone please get in touch about how we go about this? 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Change Landline Number

Thanks for your post matth77, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to see you've been experiencing a high level of nuisance calls.

We will be able to have this arranged for you, check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner, and we can get to work on this for you

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@matth77 wrote:

Due to the amount of Nuisance Calls we are getting, despite having been registered with TPS for many years, I would like to change our Landline number.

Can someone please get in touch about how we go about this? 

A word of warning. Just to say that changing numbers will not necessarily resolve the problem. All numbers are recycled, with a period of as little as 3 months between a number being given up & re-allocated. The common practice is for people to take numbers with them when they move suppliers, not just because of convenience, but also because the number is more or less problem free.

In this situation you can end up with a pool of recycled problem numbers that just circulate from customer to customer. You literally could end up exchanging a number for one that is just as bad or even worse than the one you had. The best solution to nuisance calls is a call blocker phone.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

And in addition to the advice from @nodrogd above, the majority of these nuisance calls are machine-generated by auto-diallers which simply dial their way through blocks of numbers on a particular exchange until they get an answer. A 'new' number may initially get some respite from this if it has been out of use for a while but, sooner or later, the chance is that the calls will start again.

The call screening/blocker approach is the better route IMHO, plus you don't have to update your contacts with a change of phone number either.

0 Kudos