cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling Home Phone Line

pinheadplanet
Tuning in

I was told on multiple occasions by vising engineers that when the switch over to WiFi phone line starts (now) that I would be able to cancel my phone line and get a reduction in the package cost, yet I can't find that option anywhere. Has anyone successfully done this or was it BS?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @pinheadplanet 👋 Welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post.

Sorry to see there's not been any clarity given on whether this can be cancelled with a reduction or not. I've checked our system and can see that you've spoken with the team since posting this. We're they able to assist with this?

If you need any further help, please let us know. We're always happy to help.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @pinheadplanet 👋 Welcome back to our forum and thanks for your post.

Sorry to see there's not been any clarity given on whether this can be cancelled with a reduction or not. I've checked our system and can see that you've spoken with the team since posting this. We're they able to assist with this?

If you need any further help, please let us know. We're always happy to help.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hi Nathan,

Yes, thanks. I did just manage to speak to a very helpful young lady in Manilla. She told me to give them a call after the 20th and speak to the team again, once my line had been disconnected. So at the moment we're all good. Thanks 🙂

Great stuff 😊 Glad the agent was able to help with this. 

Let us know if you have any further issues with this.

Regards

Nathan

You should double check and refer back to the letter you got from VM advising of the switchover.

I can't find any good past references for this but IIRC there is a time-limited window when you can change/cancel without EDF due to the phone switchover (inc a date you need to confirm by)

Go to the bottom of the FAQs here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/digital-voice-switchover

which mentions it. It is also generalised in VM's T&Cs Section N. VM gives you 30 days' notice of any changes 'which are not exclusively to your benefit' and you then have 30 days from that point to cancel.

You should make sure that, if you do wait until 20th, it doesn't put you outside any time window that might be ticking away in the meantime.

I received my adaptor. What is the address I need to return it to please?

Hi Pinheadplanet, 

Thanks for coming back to us now that you've received your adapter, we don't need this returning if you're planning on cancelling your landline part of your package 🤗

Please give our package team a call on 0345 454 1111 option 1, 4 then 2 and they will be happy to help further.

Let us know how you get on!

Thanks,

Megan_L

Looks like I have to go back to Ofcom to get this sorted because every time I contact Virgin you tell me something different. I'm now being told that I cannot remove my landline (despite the email you sent me saying I can remove it) because there will be be an early disconnection fee (tel-con with Sheeba/Shiva 14.7.23) or that it would mean my package price would increase from £24 per month to £47 per month (tel-con with Nathan 14.7.23). As you can understand this is nonsense!

I was first told uncategorically by the engineers that were working on lanline that I could remove my landline and get a reduction in my costs. Since then various other people at Virgin have confirmed this. Plus, when I renewed my services with you very recently it was on the understanding that I would be able to do this.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Many apologies for the issues faced pinheadplanet,

When was the service due to switch over?

Removing the landline may incur any discounts currently added to be removed.

Regards,

Kain

Due to switchover on 20th July

If that's the case that should have been made clear at the time of renewal. We actually were going to leave Virgin, I had contacted you to give my 30 days notice, but were only convinced to stay on this basis of removing the landline. Rather desceptive of you to change things now.