Menu
vayidm
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cancelling Broadband, keeping Phone Line

I'm at the end of my Virgin Media contract next month. I phoned up a few days ago to ask to cancel my broadband for now and keep my phone line.

I was told that it isn't possible to just have a phone line with Virgin, and I must have a broadband package, which I didn't question.

Now I've visited the website, I can see you can order just a phone line only with Virgin.

Why is it not possible to have the option to keep my phone line only and cancel my broadband services when the sole phone line option is available to new customers?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cancelling Broadband, keeping Phone Line

you can get a phone only but when you change your package it will start a new minimum term contract. ask yourself do you need a landline paying £19/month when you can get a mobile for £6/month with unlimited calls
vayidm
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I get that. It's just the landline number is an old one and from what I can see, I can't get that landline number on a mobile contract 😄

The idea is to keep that number. I'm just querying if what I was told on the phone was correct that's all.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you can get a landline number on a VOIP service for a tiny amount.

Pick up a VOIP phone for £20-50 on ebay and transfer the number to something like sipgate (free i think) and pay for calls. Or if you want unlimited calls its under £10/month. less than half the price of a landline
vayidm
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I hadn't thought of that, I hope the VOIP service can transfer my landline number then. Would be good because then I wouldn't be held to any ISP. I'll have a look at it now.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

and technically it won't be limited tot he area code. you could move anywhere in the world and keep that UK number
vayidm
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes I've just been reading ispreview.co.uk's guide on VoIP about the whole thing. I did look at it years ago but never understood all the jargon and what was required.

Just ordered an ATA to use my existing phone system so hopefully I'll be able to port and try this out soon.

The port takes about a month unfortunately but I guess I'll have to fork out £50 for another month of broadband. Either way I shouldn't have issues with number porting as you mentioned in the future!

0 Kudos