cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use phone via hub

neitshade
On our wavelength

I've just had to buy a new computer. The old one had a port for a phone, and it worked well. The new PC doesn't have that facility, so I bought an adapter (There wasn't one with the hub) and used it to plug the phone into the hub. I'm not getting a dial tone, and I can't receive calls. I've tried with another, wired, phone and still nothing. I have Hub 4.

Is there something I've missed that I need to do?

11 REPLIES 11

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @neitshade,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your landline connection!

Can you tell us if you've received any communication about the Home Phone Switchover or received a landline adaptor from us directly? 

If not, then this could mean that your local area is not yet in the process of being moved to the new Fibre Landline system. 

Please let us know so that we can assist further if needed.

Thank you! 😊 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

neitshade
On our wavelength

I'm not aware of any communicati, and I definitely didn't get an adapter (I bought my own.)

I've just logged into the hub and run a diagnostic. Everything is OK except for one thing: Telephone service.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for coming back to us, @neitshade.

If you've not been made aware of any landline system changes, then your landline phone will operate through the wall socket as previously.

Please connect your landline to the wall socket available and let us know if your landline connection is working then. 

A third party adapter may not work with our equipment and we cannot assist in regards to equipment that is not ours. Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks! 😊 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@neitshade wrote:

I've just had to buy a new computer. The old one had a port for a phone, and it worked well. The new PC doesn't have that facility, so I bought an adapter (There wasn't one with the hub) and used it to plug the phone into the hub. I'm not getting a dial tone, and I can't receive calls. I've tried with another, wired, phone and still nothing. I have Hub 4.

Is there something I've missed that I need to do?

If you were plugging your phone into a computer previously, you would not be using a Virgin phone line. The TEL ports on the Hub 4 are only for the Virgin Landline phone service. They connect direct to Virgin's exchanges, so will not work with other phone services.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

"The old one ( i.e. computer )  had a port for a phone"  - A phone or phone line ?

Are we talking about telephones here or the fax / modem facility of the previous computer ?

The wall socket doesn't work. I opened it up and there's just a couple of loose wires. I can't see where to connect them, or how.

Telephone

Hi @neitshade thanks for your reply.

We are a little confused when you mentioned you'd connected your landline to your old computer previously. Usually, a landline has to be connected to a wall socket to operate, do you have a photograph of the adapter you've previously been using to connect?
Many thanks

Tom_W

neitshade
On our wavelength

No, the old computer's gone. Never mind, I'll have to save up to get the wall socket repaired.