Menu
jonbenj
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Can’t receive incoming calls on landline after account restart

We’ve recently upgraded our virgin services which unfortunately involved our account being cancelled and restarted. We moved from a M200 broadband connection to M500. Although all the equipment we had appeared to be compatible, we were sent new identical equipment which I set up as before. The only difference with the new set up is that I’m required to plug my landline directly into the hub whereas before, the landline was plugged into the old wall socket (an old Telewest one!)

Initially we’d been assigned a “new” landline number but we’ve since recovered our original landline number. Ever since the upgrade we can only make outgoing calls on the landline; if you dial into the house you get the message” You’ve dialled an incorrect number”

I contacted customer support: the 1st level agent couldn’t help me, the second level agent says my phone is incompatible. He suggested borrowing a phone to check but my elderly neighbours all have old style phones like me.  I’m resigned to buying a new phone but will this work do you think?  I’ve searched the help pages and the set up guide but I can’t find anything about the minimum specification I need.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t receive incoming calls on landline after account restart

Hi jonbenj,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with the phone line, I'm just running through some diagnostics,

I can see the hub hasn't been rebooted for nearly 2 weeks, can you please do this?

Let me know when done then I can continue testing.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
jonbenj
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello Alex

Thats the hub rebooted now. 

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for doing that. 

Now that it's been rebooted is the landline fully working?

I'm not seeing any faults from here so if the reboot hasn't helped then we can look at sending an engineer if needed. 

Let us know.

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
jonbenj
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I’m at work just now. I’ll check and update tonight. 
Can you please clarify for me? 
What specification of phone do I need to plug into the hub  my old phone is a very basic no frills type. Your service agent told me I needed a newer type of phone; is that correct? If so what specification do I need?  

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's a VOIP compatible phone you'll need

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
jonbenj
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

#Confused! Why is it I can make outgoing calls with a non VOIP phone?  Why is it I get the message “you’ve dialled an incorrect number” when I call my landline from a mobile? I don’t want to spend cash on a voip phone unnecessarily. Can someone answer these questions and point me to a page on the official Virgin site that explains all this? 

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi jonbenj

Thanks for coming back to us. 

To confirm you can make calls but not receive them? Is it just your mobile number that gets that message or do all numbers that call get it?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos