Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can’t hear incoming calls from a friend (both Virgin customers)

Am starting a new thread at the suggestion of Lisa_CC from the Forum. My original thread was called “I can’t hear Virgin caller”. It is a similar problem to that of jka94036 and a bit like KiamaraKid on the message boards, both of which I have joined in with.

My partner and I both have Virgin landlines. Until about a week ago, we had no problems with calls in either direction. There had been no change in phones attached to the lines.

About 26th July, my partner rang me and when I answered I could not hear him, but he could hear me. Caller display showed who was ringing. When I rang back, there was no problem. We could hear each other. 

Since then, this has been a permanent fault. I cannot hear any call from his landline number. His calls to my line do not even trigger my answerphone, although he hears the recorded message. 

We both separately receive calls from all other numbers (landlines and mobiles) and can make calls to all other numbers. The fault seems to be somewhere between us two alone.

We have tried different handsets, known to be working, and the problem persists. 

Customer Services have been contacted several times by both of us and our lines have been checked and we’ve been told they are OK.

I had a Virgin technician (Luke 88211) visit on Friday, who checked my line and said the problem must be either at my partner’s end OR more likely at the exchange. He didn’t understand why he had been sent to me. He also said he had never come across this before, but would talk to his manager.

Virgin does seem to have a problem, but Customer Services are not willing to admit it and have no idea what to do, other than check the line or send a technician. 

How do we get the Telephony Faults Team involved or the Area Field Managers?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t hear incoming calls from a friend (both Virgin customers)

Hi nasussenoj

Thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear of the phone line issues. As it's gone to the field technician's manager we'd need to see what they have to say for the next steps. I have therefore emailed the field manager today for you, to see where we're currently at with this.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Either as a result of the email from John_GS of the Forum Team to the Field Manager or as a result of the complaint form I completed, a Virgin Technician dropped in unexpectedly on Monday afternoon (2 days after raising this issue). 

Luckily my friend in Gravesend was in and we demonstrated the problem. If I ring him ..... all OK. If he rings me, he can hear me but I can’t hear him. His calls trigger the ringer, but not the data stream (I think this is what Raj the technician said). 

As luck would have it, the Virgin technician my friend was expecting arrived while Raj was here and the two technicians were able to talk to each other. They both agreed that our lines were OK, but there was a fault either at one of the exchanges or one of the cabinets/green boxes. They recognised the problem as it had occurred before, but obviously not often.

I am adding to this thread as when Raj left, he said he would consult with his manager and keep me informed. This is the fifth day and I have heard nothing. It is now 2 weeks since this all started.

I will also be adding to KiamaraKid’s thread, so others are aware they are not alone. How do we escalate this? Customer Services call centres have no idea how to deal with it.

Help needed, please.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi nasussenoj,

Thanks for the post and apologies that you have not received an update. I have emailed the Area Field Mangers regarding your update.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello 

It would seem we are having the same issue, just one number  that when they call, we can not hear them, we can call then back 

and the line is ok,  this is BT to Virgin, so it seems it might be more common issue than I first thought reading this forum 

I have seen where VM say its the handsets, but have try test butt  and it is still the same, tried different handset  at the callers end 

still the same issue  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi ChunkyJ, sorry to hear you'e encountered a similar issue. I wasn't able to help further using just your forum details alone on this occasion - so will get in touch via PM to confirm the account details and will do all I can to assist from there.

Tom 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am having the same issue as reported in another thread, two technician visits later Virgin still don’t know what’s going on with this. I have got a third engineer booked for Wednesday apparently a telephone engineer so will se what happens.

I was offered an option of moving to the voip system, but from what I read on this forum it seems that the issue manifests itself there as well

one option I did think about was moving my telephone services back to BT

0 Kudos