cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't dial out - the 150 service picks up after dialing 01

AndyInMancheste
Dialled in

I'm trying to make a call on my landline, which is still traditional copper wires.  I'm trying to dial a non-local number, starting with 01, but as soon as I dial the 1, the 150 service picks up and asks me the annoying robotic questions.

Since I don't know my "memorable" word (15 years + and very rarely actually used it), I can't get past the robot on the phone to talk to a human.

So, dialing 01 now has the same effect as dialing 150 - and that's the only number I can ring, effectively.

I had a call just a short while ago, to my answering machine, so that presumably still works, unless it went wrong in the last half hour or so.

6 REPLIES 6

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @AndyInMancheste 👋

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry to hear you're experiencing some issues with your landline service. 

Have you tried troubleshooting 👉 here ?

Let us know so we can offer further support if required. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Yes, @Aylsha_B, I looked at that, and as far as I can see, it does not cover my problem.

I clicked "Can’t make landline calls?

None of the options I was then shown appeared to have any relevance to this problem.

I then clicked the button to say it didn't help, which led to:

Ask our community
Find tips and answers from our community

I'll be more than happy to help further with this so will pop you a PM 📩 now to run some further tests for you. 

Speak soon!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

AndyInMancheste
Dialled in

I see this problem has happened to a number of other customers, so I'm placing a link to the the main thread I found, for reference.

I note that people have been charged each time they've tried to place a call, because it was redirected to the 0345 number, not 150.  I see no way of checking if this has happened to me too.  Naturally, I want any such charges refunded.  See the comments, particularly by VicandBod and Blamb, here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Virgin-Landline-Can-t-make-outgoing-calls/td-p/50376...

This has been caused by Virgin Media placing a block on outgoing calls for the affected accounts, without discussing it with us first.  This is therefore not a technical problem and not something that can be resolved by sending out an engineer or technician - it's for Virgin Media to sort out, via their accounts department.

My own switchover date is not for more than a month, so there is no justification for VM doing this.

AndyInMancheste
Dialled in

Hi Sabrina,

Those questions need to be answered in a private message, especially the one disclosing my email address, but you've asked me in the public forum.

Should I reply to the one from Alysha_B?

This situation is compounded by the fact that my ntlworld email isn't working today either, so I can only "poll" for replies by checking the forum.  See this thread, which seems to be related to the email problem, which is currently also affecting other people:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Connection-timed-out-error-on-my-ntlworld-com-email/td-p/...

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for speaking with us today @AndyInMancheste on the forums. 😇

As you have advised some dates have changed, we will work along with you for the best course of action.
As advised - keep us updated and reach out to us for any other queries you may have.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team