Menu
Raptur
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Can’t call one phone number

My home phone works fine apart from when I call one specific number (my mothers) it doesn’t ring at the other end even though I can hear the ring tone. This has been verified by being on the mobiles to each other and then me calling my mother on the landline... it doesn’t ring at her end. She can call me and it works though.

whats most galling is that I CANT SPEAK TO A HUMAN IN VIRGIN MEDIA to explain the problem, the automated system wants to send someone to my house to fix it. I know for a fact that the problem is not in my house or in the cabling.. so it’s pointless sending an engineer to my house.

help PLEASE!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t call one phone number

You checked she hasn't accidentally blocked you?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Collette_O
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Raptur,

Welcome to the community. 🙂

Has your mother had any trouble being called by anyone else other than yourself? 

If you let me know we will do our best to help.

Collette.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Raptur
Joining in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Collette,

Thanks for your reply.

My mother has a BT service and she has not had any issues with anyone else calling her.

I obviously don't want to post her number on the forum, just wanted to speak with someone in the helpdesk to give the number but the only option I had was to have an engineer come to my house to resolve the issue. In my mind (as a ex-telephone engineer), the issue lies with Virgin and routing calls to this particular number not with my 'internal wiring'!! 🙂

Thanks

Paul.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Raptur,

Thanks for your reply.  

I agree it does sound like it may be a routing issue.  I will be happy to have a look at this for you.  I will send you a private message requesting some details.  Look for the purple envelope icon above.

Collette.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting back to me with the requested information.

I have carried out some check on the line and we're unable to detect any issues that would stop you contacting the end user.

All route traces came through perfect and no other features that would stop you contacting them.

We've been able to rule out an issue our end.  

If the end user is able to receive calls from other people, I suspect a possible setting issue on their handset, perhaps there's no volume on it when you call?

That's just a thought/suggestion to look out for.  If that is not the issue then it's best they contact BT to have their line checked.

From the checks we've done, all is routing perfectly and working as it should.

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to ask.

Collette.

0 Kudos
Raptur
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Collette.
BT have checked their side and are saying that no errors exist in their network.
In fact they say that it is more likely a problem from the Virgin side so now we’re in stalemate!
Any further thoughts on how to get this resolved?

Thanks
Paul.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Craig_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul

Thanks for getting back to us, would your mother be able to try an alternate handset? In case there's a block setting that's been set or something similar on her current handset? It wouldn't be the first time something like that has caused an issue like this and as Collette has ruled our any routing issue or general errors from our end, it would be the next logical step.

We'd love to hear how it goes

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Kelvinht
Joining in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Glad I'm not alone. My mother and sister are both Virgin customers. I'm with BT. Both now get a message 'this number is not recognised' when they call me. They can ring other people, I can receive calls from other people. So appears this is a routing issue between virgin and BT. BT don't want to know, I'm suspecting the same when they speak to virgin later... Watch this space!
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kelvinht,

Welcome to the community.

We will be happy to help check this out and see what's going on.  As you are a BT user it will need to be your Mother/Sister who contact us to check the line as we'll need their details to carry out the necessary checks.

They can either make a post on here or contact us via Contact Us.  

Collette.

0 Kudos