Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can’t appear to be able to disconnect calls to 0333, 0344, 0345 numbers?

I posted yesterday about a problem I had disconnecting a call I made to Currys’ customer services (0344 number). I tried unplugging the phone line to no avail and also tried connecting an old non-cordless phone but still couldn’t disconnect. I ended up leaving it for half an hour or so and when I went back to it I was getting a dial tone so either Currys answered and then terminated the call or the network eventually timed out.

Today I had to phone Argos on an 0345 number and when I tried to disconnect exactly the same thing happened. Ended up leaving it 20 minutes and got the dialling tone but obviously don’t know if Argos disconnected or the network timed out.

Thinking back I got a £24 charge for a 240 minute call to an 0333 number last September. The call actually only lasted about 20 minutes so I queried it with Virgin but the CS rep just said I must have forgotten to terminate the call.

Is this likely to be a problem with my line that can be diagnosed remotely?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can’t appear to be able to disconnect calls to 0333, 0344, 0345 numbers?

Hi,

Really would need an engineer to do a line check, if you are initiating a call but can't end it

If you still have an issue send me a private message.

To PM me, just hover over my profile picture and click Send Message when the option comes up. Please don't post any personal info in this thread as it's public.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As an addendum, I've just checked charges since my last bill and, as I feared yesterday, it's showing a charge of £8.50 for a 2 hour call to the Currys' 0344 number.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just to keep the thread updated for future reference - engineer booked to check cabinet or internal connection (if required).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Engineers attended and swapped over the external line which has resolved the issue.

Many thanks to @Retro-Tech and the engineers, extremely impressive service, I must say!

EDIT: Unfortunately it's doing it again 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

For info only - line now disconnected and Engineer will attend tomorrow to check internal wiring/box.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Result - new internal wall socket fitted and external wires swapped over - problem resolved, touch wood 🙂

Many thanks to @Retro-Tech and the engineers, extremely impressive service, I must say!

0 Kudos