cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can PC headphones be used as a phone through Hub5?

GordonAlexander
Tuning in

Finally got the new hub5 working with our existing Panasonic phones and base units, thanks to engineer David - 47831 who fixed it in seconds. Now that we have computers and telephony connected through the same device, is it possible to use the phone line with PC headsets?

5 REPLIES 5

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi GordonAlexander,

Thanks for posting 🙂

Glad to hear the engineer was able to get things up and running for you! Unfortunately your headset wouldn't work with the way that our fibre network is set up.

Alex_Rm

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GordonAlexander wrote:

Finally got the new hub5 working with our existing Panasonic phones and base units, thanks to engineer David - 47831 who fixed it in seconds. Now that we have computers and telephony connected through the same device, is it possible to use the phone line with PC headsets?

All that has changed is the analogue telephone socket has moved from your wall to your hub. It still operates in the same way, & still connects to a PSTN exchange at the other end. There is no connection to the internet, therefore no interconnection to WiFi or the Ethernet sockets.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Not really surprised - hopefully a future hub upgrade will include this functionality. I remember back in the day of 2400 baud comms US Robotics had a modem which had a built in answering machine and the ability to integrate with the PC headset. 

Client62
Legend

Have a look for a decent desk phone that has a "Headset" button and a socket for a telephone headset.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@GordonAlexander wrote:

Not really surprised - hopefully a future hub upgrade will include this functionality. I remember back in the day of 2400 baud comms US Robotics had a modem which had a built in answering machine and the ability to integrate with the PC headset. 

What we are waiting for is the full PSTN digital switchover, which will happen across all providers in a couple of years time. Because this involves many interchange links between providers it all has to be synchronised.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks