Menu
Focusys
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can I switch to Hub3.0 telephone socket?

After days trying to get an answer to my faulty telephone line (Rings in, but no dial tone) can somebody tell me if I can just abandon the copper wire and plug my phone into the telephone socket on the back of the Router?

Why I have to wait 30 minutes waiting for an answer to my call and still not get trough I do not understand. Call centres can operate from home unless they have the same problem I have.

Why does the router have an American socket and not type 600 which has been with us since the 1960s.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Gaz82
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I switch to Hub3.0 telephone socket?

As far as I'm aware, Virgin are only rolling out phone service via the router to new customers at the moment. Existing customers continue to use the separate copper connection.

The Superhub 3 is a rebadged Arris TG2492S/CE cable router. The phone sockets on them are not "American" they are the international standard RJ11 socket which has been adopted by many countries now.

In fact, some countries that even used the BT style 600 socket (for example, New Zealand and Singapore) have now migrated to RJ11.

Katie_WT
Forum Team Manager
Forum Team Manager
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Focusys

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for  your first post; sorry that you're having some issues with your landline currently and are looking to convert to our VOIP landline. 

We are busier than usual currently but all our departments are open with the majority of staff working form home (us included) - we're answering all calls as quickly as we possibly can. I have managed to locate your account from your forum information and can see that you have requested some self checks already and have chatted with our text support team. 

There are no issues with your landline showing from this end - all is showing to be active with no errors and we have no outages listed. have you tried an alternative handset already at all? 

In regard to converting to our VOIP, I have checked your line and currently it's not ready to migrate over; I am sorry.

Let us know how you get on with your handset check and we'll go from there. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Focusys
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

On two previous occasions I have asked Virgin customer services to remove the landline from my plan to be told it would cost more if I did so. Strangely, as a new customer, you can have a plan with just broadband and no telephone line charges. Is Virgin really helping their customers, especially the elderly who have little extra pension to spend?

Katie, can you tell me if there is a dial tone available at my phone or just the box up the road? I understand you can ring the phone i.e. high voltage, but there is only silence in the background. If there was a line fault you should be able to tell me if it is inside or outside the home and avoid charging for a visit.

I have tested with another phone. 

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team Manager
Forum Team Manager
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for testing another handset @Focusys - as mentioned, I have already done a line test and no errors or issues are showing at this end. As you're having the same issue after a handset check, we'll need to book you a technician to come and take a look. 

I have booked the first available slot we have on the system - you can check the date and time of this via your online account. If you need to change the slot for any reason, you can also do that via your online account. 

We do offer packages for just the broadband on it's own or for Tv and Broadband without a landline, however depending on your package and discounts, it may be cheaper to keep the landline. Our Customer Care team are always happy to check for all sorts of packages to best suit your needs and budget. 

Hope the visit goes well - keep us posted if you can. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Focusys
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The engineer visit revealed the answer. The cable to the house was faulty requiring a new one to be fed 100 yards from the street equipment box to the house. As I do not use the phone,  but Virgin insists I have one, the alternative was, as I expected, to connect the phone to the router! This took two minutes with an adapter and could have saved the engineer a visit. Why the call centre insists it was 1. Not possible and 2. Only for new customers defies me. The website claims all landlines will be converted in the near future, so why not when the line goes down?.

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Focusys,

Thank you for keeping us updated. I'm glad to hear that is sorted for you now. 

^Martin

0 Kudos