Menu
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can I purchase a compatible landline phone from Virgin?

I have moved from Talk Talk to Virgin, but have still retained the talk talk broadband and telephone line.

Having had a lot of broadband issue with Talk Talk, it was eventually fixed and at that time the landline stopped working...... Talk Talk said there was a line fault now fixed, but the phone still does not work and displays the message 'check the phone line'

A few days after my Virgin self install arrived... I installed according to the instructions, however, if I understand the instruction correctly the hub does not display the correct lights... There is just an amber steady light and as the phone line isn't working and the phone displays the same message I have a dilemma.... is it the phone or do I have a fault with Talk Talk and Virgin phone lines....

I change the cable to the Talk Talk and Virgin sockets, with a tested cable on a colleagues phone line, and no change......

I spent an hour+ waiting for a Virgin agent to tell me that if the broadband and TV are working forget what lights should be showing. He also told me the phone line was working OK and so did Talk Talk tell me the same about their phone line.....

SO.....I want to buy a phone that VIRGIN guarantees works with their VOIP system which will then eliminate the phone I have...

BETTER STILL I'd like to purchase it from  VIRGIN so that VIRGIN can't fob me off if the line still doesn't work.....

So can I but a phone from Virgin...?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I purchase a compatible landline phone from Virgin?

did you pay for the phone line on your package.

VM sub is not a VOIP system it takes standard phones. VM do not sell phones
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but given all the forum items complaining about incompatible phones how do I guarantee buying s phone that Virgin can't fob me off as being incompatible..?
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

all the forum is a tiny almost non-excistant amount of people.

Buy it from somewhere with a returns policy. Argos or amazon maybe
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info.....If the forum isn't a true representation then I'll avoid in future.......no point in using it as a guide to anything...
Many Thanks
G
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

do you also go into a hospital look at all the sick people and assume everyone in the would is sick?
Or go into a prison look at all the criminals and say to yourself. Oh god everyone in the world is a criminal?
0 Kudos
goslow
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Anonymous wrote:

I have moved from Talk Talk to Virgin, but have still retained the talk talk broadband and telephone line.

<snip>

Info on hub lights and their meaning here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-what-do-the-lights-on-your-hub-mean

Log into the hub and check that telephony is enabled (as per screenshot example below).

https://setuprouter.com/router/virgin-media/virgin-media-hub-3/setup-75194-large.htm

If so, plug in the short VM adapter to 'TEL1' on the hub. Plug your phone into the adapter.

You need to be testing with a good, known-working phone which has been tested elsewhere on another line for calls in/out and caller ID function.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

How did you manage to get a tag of a 'very insightful person'......... your attempt at an analogy falls very short........

If every one who is a Virgin customer is part of the community and passes comments on issues etc., then the community would indeed be a very useful tool, but if the percentage of participation, is as low as you say, then the flavour of trends and comments, within the community,  is next to useless.

Going back to your analogy.... if you imagine all the people in the hospital are the Virgin users and the patients in one ward is the community, would you accept that any trends on that ward were truly representative of the hospital....?

If you did then you'd probably be making a big mistake....

To be honest, I think you seem to be a bit off a 'dick'.... and I request that you DON'T respond to any of my posts in future as you are a

'Most Unhelpful person'

Thanks

G.....

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks ...

Now I've found more data I can see that the instructions that come with the self install pack are mis-leading as they indicate that having set up the router the green wifi and green telephone light should be showing along with a solid white light and if that isn't the case then 'try again' however, there seems to be different sorts of light combinations so my problem was following the instructions....

All sorted now and service is good...

Thanks

G

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for letting us know its all sorted GRW53

Fingers crossed you don't need anymore help

But if you do , Forums are the first port of call

Gareth_L

0 Kudos