Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 11 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Caller id for international calls

Thanks for providing those details Irene234,

I've checked the switch and it's on there, 

For caller ID, each country supply "tones" that hit our Network. If the tones are different our system cannot "read" the details, it wouldn't show up. 

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Irene234
Tuning in
Message 12 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, could you confirm whether these countries are supported or not?

Germany, Spain, Ireland, Qatar

That's where I get legitimate calls from, I'm not so worried if cold calls don't have caller ID 😉
0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Irene234,

It's not something we're able to advise sorry, it's more about the exchange/ network rather than the country itself.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Irene234
Tuning in
Message 14 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Well either Virgin Media has provisions in place on its network to accept peer Caller ID systems or not. Which Caller ID systems does Virgin Media support incoming from abroad? Clearly the remote network sends Caller ID otherwise it would not work on my mobile.
0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 15 of 20
Flag for a moderator

We can't compare it to your mobile as it's a completely different system.

As BenMcr has mentioned above, it does work for compatible countries, but I'm not able to advise what countries those are I'm sorry.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Irene234
Tuning in
Message 16 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Well, calls to my mobile are only "complete different" once the call reaches the mobile provider's UK network. At the remote end abroad it's exactly the same as it goes through the network. The point is that the remote end is sending the caller ID, so it's down to what Virgin Media support as "compatible".

If you cannot state which countries are compatible, please state what Virgin Media supports, and indeed indicate whether there would be any difference if I switched from a wall socket to plugging my phone into the router (which I don't want to do really, as the router is out of the way and the phone is in the main room).

Wikipedia, for instance, lists these systems:
Country Caller ID standard

Germany FSK V23
Ireland ETSI FSK V23 (ETS 300 659-1) Ring Pulse Alert Signalling. Data sent after first short ring.
Spain ETSI FSK
UK SIN227 (V23 FSK before first ring)

Now I have no idea what these standards represent, but I think it should be possible for Virgin Media to state what standard it supports, and not point to vague, unofficial posts from employees.

Sorry if you think I'm being difficult, it's not your fault personally, but I would like to get this sorted one way or the other 🙂

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID 

(German) https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermittlungstechnische_Leistungsmerkmale_(%C3%B6ffentliche_Ne... 

0 Kudos
akribie
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 20
Flag for a moderator

It must be that Virgin's equipment is inadequate since other providers (eg TalkTalk) manage to provide overseas caller ID (eg from Germany), whereas all I get from Virgin is INTERNATIONAL, which often causes suspicion of a scam call when answering. So Germany, at least, is transmitting the required information, so why can Virgin not decode it?

goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 18 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@Irene234 wrote:

Same problem here - caller display works fine except for international calls, including Germany and Spain. The caller's number comes up when they call my mobile, just not on my Virgin Media landline. This means I don't know whether it's a cold call or a friend, and I get so many calls that I want to get a trueCall device, but this requires caller display to be working properly, which it isn't.

The issue of the reliablity of VM caller ID came up in the topic below a few weeks ago. One of the forum users contacted trueCall and got the response below. (This refers to the trueCall standalone unit, not similar features in the BT cordless phone range)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/BT-Premiun-Phone-handset-Trucall-and-VOIP/m-p/434731...

I have been using a trueCall standalone device for a couple of months now and it has been very successful (although I don't receive international calls from friends/family)

The trueCall manual does note that Caller ID for 'International' may not be processed reliably by different telecoms providers.

You may be interested to know that if the trueCall unit receives a call with a Caller ID of 'International' or 'Unavailable' it can be set up to request a 'Callers' Code' which is a PIN that you can give to your friends and family. Once they enter the PIN they ring straight through to your phone. Any callers who do not know the PIN are screened or blocked depending on how you program the unit.

You can download the trueCall manual at the link below and read the details of the above on page 8

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/126.htm

Hope that helps some.

Irene234
Tuning in
Message 19 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@goslow wrote:

You may be interested to know that if the trueCall unit receives a call with a Caller ID of 'International' or 'Unavailable' it can be set up to request a 'Callers' Code' which is a PIN that you can give to your friends and family. Once they enter the PIN they ring straight through to your phone. Any callers who do not know the PIN are screened or blocked depending on how you program the unit.

Thanks for that, I had planned on getting one of the BT phones for ease of use, but they do not seem to have the pin feature described. Something to consider.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 20 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I would suggest that the BT phone range is not as comprehensive as the standalone trueCall unit in the range of features and options and ability to configure it.

In addition, I believe that trueCall support team can actually 'dial-in' to the standalone unit and make slight configuration changes to the device to accommodate specific issues with Caller ID settings variations for different providers. BT phones have their own support, only from BT and configuration cannot be 'tweaked' in the event of issues as far as I know.

The trueCall device new costs about £100 which is quite expensive compared to the BT phone range but there have been forum topics recently where the BT phones have not worked reliably on the VM network for some people due to caller ID issues.

I was fortunate enough to be given my trueCall unit but, having owned one for a while, I would certainly have considered buying one as value for money in how it has silenced spam calls for me.

Someone else pointed out recently you can get second hand units on eBay from about £30-ish but you probably would not get the support from trueCall direct if you ran into issues with Caller ID for a secondhand unit.

0 Kudos