Menu
Pumpkins
Tuning in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Caller id for international calls

ANy progress by VM on caller ID for international calls? TalkTalk can still do it.

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Caller id for international calls

As far as I know it does already work - for countries that have a compatible system.

However not every country does - and sometimes it doesn't work on purpose for phishing or Spam calls.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Pumpkins
Tuning in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Interesting. I know that TalkTalk correctly displays calls from private numbers in Australia. But I don't think Virgin does. Curious.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Be aware that Australia’s CND system is rigged differently to ours.

In Australia, if you choose to be “ex directory”, the CND system automatically blocks your number from being transmitted. On some systems this will show as “Private Number” when a call is received.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Pumpkins
Tuning in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Interesting, but not obvious how that could account for TalkTalk being able to show the number (so not ex directory) and Virgin not!

0 Kudos
Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pumpkins,

Thank you for your post, I'm sorry to hear you've been having issues with your landline service.

I've had a word with a couple of telephony colleagues and they're not entirely sure why this would be. It could be that the connection isn't supported by our network, but they have recommended that I arrange a technician visit with you to ensure that it's not being caused by anything physical like low voltage in the cabinet or a handset fault.

In order to do this I'd need to gather some account details and clear security with you. We'd never do this via an open forum so I'll send you a private message to this end. Please head to the purple envelope in the top right corner to respond.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
akribie
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I've just switched from TalkTalk, which gave most overseas, and other weird numbers, on Caller ID and has done so for many years. Virgin can't even show German numbers. Virgin's system is primitive and much less useful than TalkTalk's both for recognising known callers and for spotting silly numbers associated with unwanted spam etc calls.

Our overseas friends are not too impressed to be treated with suspicion until recognised rather than being greeted by name.

Come on Virgin. Catch up!

0 Kudos
Irene234
Tuning in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Same problem here - caller display works fine except for international calls, including Germany and Spain. The caller's number comes up when they call my mobile, just not on my Virgin Media landline. This means I don't know whether it's a cold call or a friend, and I get so many calls that I want to get a trueCall device, but this requires caller display to be working properly, which it isn't.

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Irene234,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you're having some issues with the caller display feature, I'm not able to locate any details for you, if you can please pop me over a private message with your account details I can take a closer look.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Pumpkins
Tuning in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Irene,

Don't hold your breath that Virgin will be able to fix this large hole in their service. I've been on at them for several years now. It's nothing to do with your set up or phone - it's entirely their problem. International caller ID works just fine for me using TalkTalk and Hyperoptic.

Virgin - it's up to you - if other service providers can do it properly so can you, if you put your mind to it.