cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller hears international dial tone and my phone shows withheld but neither are true!

charliebrown44
On our wavelength

Anyone else experiencing these occasional gremlins? Even if I test landline from my mobile I'm getting international ring tone and handset shows withheld. Was never an issue before VoIP switch!

11 REPLIES 11

Client62
Legend

VOIP - sadly its POTS via the Hub !

International ring tone have been mentioned a few time for the via Hub telephone service.
VM do not appear to have a any clue why this occurs or how to fix it.

VM may need to enable Caller Id on your line so you see the inbound caller's number.

Hi.

I do have caller ID and mostly it shows correct info but lately several calls from family etc and my mobile showing either "withheld" or "no number" BTW what is POTS?

Cheers.

Client62
Legend

POTS = "Plain Old Telephone Service" 

i.e. an Analogue telephone just as was used on a wall socket.

angiemike6
Tuning in

Hi

I also have the same problem and Virgin seems unable to resolve.  Before the problem if someone phoned me who was in my phone contact list then that name would show on the phone display.  If they were not in my contact list then the phone number would show.  All of my family are in my contact list, but when they phone me I might get their name come up correctly, or it may be 'Incoming Call' or it could be 'Withheld'.  They have also told me that occasionally they get the international dialling tone.  I am not so concerned about the dialling tone, but I really do need to know who is phoning me.  The problem is random but regular.  For example I phoned my landline myself three times in succession using my mobile.  The first time it came up 'Incoming Call', the second time 'Withheld' and the last time it came up correctly as 'Mikes Mob'. This is not acceptable and Virgin must find a fix.  Any help would be appreciated.

Client62
Legend

The flaky Caller Id reads as if VM are not using the correct Caller Id Method and Standard for UK phones.
It is not a matter that we can address as an end user.

I agree, nothing we can do our end will rectify this, so basically it's not fit for purpose. Oh how I miss the copper cableing! Man on the moon and all that! 

Hello charliebrown44.

Thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear about the niggles with your caller ID and international dial tone.

We are aware of these issues and will be working to fix them.

I can take a closer look for you if you like.

Just let me know and I can send you a private message.

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth.

I may as well wait for the fix at Virgin end, it would be good if we all get a heads up on here when firmware fix is pushed out?

Cheers.

Thanks for replying charliebrown44.

I can go away and see if we have any updates on the above for you.

Leave this with me please.

Gareth_L