Menu
Kenwj
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Caller ID

Have a new phone which says I need to be signed up for caller ID , was told this is part of Virgin service, had it on my last phone ..how do you solve this?  Had an engineer who sorted out a connection problem, earlier

0 Kudos
Kenwj
Joining in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Caller ID

Follow up- spent 1.5 hours on the phone yesterday, spoke to 5 engineers to be told at the end that it was due to my Panasonic set as to me not getting the caller id. Not impressed as I had ot keep going through the same sets of questions...
0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There are a few reports on the forums of caller ID disappearing from the line after a repair for something else has taken place. The forum team can sometimes check the caller ID status on your line and reactivate if necessary.

Have you tried your Panasonic phone on another landline (friend, neighbour, family member) to confirm your phone is not at fault (which seems very unlikely if it is new)?

Have you tried a different phone (borrowed from a friend, neighbour, family member) with a known working caller display from another line into your own VM landline to check that you are actually receiving caller ID OK still?

0 Kudos
Kenwj
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for ideas..I have not tried the phone on anyone else line as I thought it was new and says it has caller id, says if not operating need connecting and contact  telephone provider which is Virgin who had told me this facility is part of the package.

My previous phone was a BT model and this gets the Caller ID without any issue. Changed phones because advice on Virgin website was to check phone unit, the BT was much older though.

Thinking I may contact Panasonic to check this out. Noticed there were a few other comments about Panasonic and Virgin caller id.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK, well if your old BT phone is still showing caller ID correctly on your line then you do have caller ID (of some kind!) on the line.

If you are wanting to try any further tests yourself you could ...

Try your new Panasonic phone in a line belonging to someone else (ideally try someone who has a BT landline and someone who has a VM line for comparison). My guess would be your Panasonic phone caller ID will probably work on the BT line.

Are you plugged into a normal telephone wall socket or are you on the new 21CV connection with the phone plugged into the back of the VM hub?

If you are using a normal telephone wall socket, are you plugged into the main/master socket or an extension socket? If an extension socket, try plugging into the main/master socket and testing again. I have had issues in the past with caller ID on my home extension wiring where the extension socket has been a long way away from the master.

For caller ID issues, the Panasonic website suggests removing the phone batteries for 30 min full info below

https://support-uk.panasonic.eu/app/answers/detail/a_id/4024/~/my-caller-id-is-not-working-on-my-pho...

I'm a bit doubtful any of the above will fix your problem but may help in the diagnostic process.

You are right that Panasonic phones and VM caller ID have been mentioned in the past (with some successes in getting things working mentioned in the posts below)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Caller-Display-not-working/td-p/4115731

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Caller-Display-stopped-working/td-p/4149634

(Incidentally, if you still have the option to return the Panasonic phone, you could try looking at the Siemens Gigaset range of cordless phones. These tend to be a little bit more expensive maybe but generally get good reviews. Always worth checking online reviews before purchasing though to see if there are any caller ID issues on VM mentioned in the reviews)

I think the forum team will need to step in here and report what they can see on your connection, then refer it on for further investigation.

0 Kudos
Kenwj
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you again, I am currently re-charging the previous BT phone to check caller ID still works on that, may try to contact Panasonic on Monday to see if they have a solution and then see about returning it.

0 Kudos
Kenwj
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

After Charging up old phone and pitting ot back on lone, found no caller id available. Still listed calls form a few days ago. Does this mean another long call to Virgin?? What is the record? Will they tell me again I am connected to caller ID as something appears to be wrong, though the engineer did fix my not getting any incoming calls.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Based on some of the recent posts on here, I am guessing that your caller ID may possibly have gone off when you had the phone repair done, that you mention above.

Hold tight and wait for a forum team member to pick up the post. They will be able to check the status of your caller ID and advise accordingly.

The forum is usually the best way to get a successful out come to a problem (although it can take up to a week for a forum team member to respond). Also best to just wait for a response now as ongoing discussion activity on the topic actually seems to bump you down the queue for their attention!

Hopefully the forum team will be able to sort it out for you.

0 Kudos
Kenwj
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your advice
0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hey Kenwj, 

For some customers, the feature gets kicked off after a fault in the background and I'm sorry about this. I've checked your Caller ID details using the information we have on here and have ensured that it's enabled in the background.

Are you able to try it and let me know if it works?

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos