Menu
JeffR
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Caller ID not working

A couple of weeks ago our home phone went faulty. People could not phone in. After nearly 50 minutes listening to looped music, I'm greeted by someone who clearly has no idea of the wotrking of the system (reading off a cue card perhaps0. Have I tried this and that. Yes. Take off socket face plate. Yes, etc. Finally got them to send me an engineer. He tested my systems. OK. Said he'd go to the cabinet. Would phone if connected. Saw him at the cabinet. Then he vanished. I think he must have then gone to the next box in sequence. Hal;f hour later phone working, engineer saying fixed. Didn't realise at time no caller ID. Since then the Virgin service has been appalling. Phone faults and after about 40 minutes (that dreadful juvenile looped music agin) someone answered and another 10 minutes he didn't know what to do. Passed me to a supervisor and I waited listening to the looped music another 20 minutes then the phone went dead. Day after I phoned pushing I'm leaving and got an English guy. Sorry you need faults I'll put you through. 40 minutes later no one has answered. Next day same. After 30 minutes (looped music) nice UK guy, I'll put you through and hang on with you. He put me through and I waited 15minutes and someone answered. You want Customer Service, then more music and a further 20 minutes I hung up. Today, rang UK. Nice fella. Everyone has free Caller ID. Should be connected. Must be your phone. Perhaps buy a new phone then if still a problem phone back. I've also left 3 complaints via VM site. Not one has been dealt with. My Panasonic Dect was working before the system went down. Any one think this is good customer service. Nigh on 2 weeks now. Nearly an hour a call, always on hold. Awful music in your ears. You can't do anything else while waiting. The faults line answered by people with little knowledge and somewhere on the other side of the world. I think the cost of my contract justifies good customer service

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Caller ID not working

Good morning @JeffR 

Welcome to the forum and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with your landline, 

Are you able to let me know if you have tried an alternative handset? 

If not please do pop back and I can look further into this. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
JeffR
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Around 10 this morning I received a call where the caller was immediately identified. It took me completely by surprise. I have had no call from Virgin that the problem had been resolved. I rang my own landline and confirmed all now working. I can only presume that some hiccup had occurred when the fault developed and on getting me up and running the Caller ID had been left off. Seems someone has done some tweaks which should have been done in the first instance. Sadly, this should have been recognised but speaking to the faults department (call centre) this has gone over their heads. It's clear to me that when we have faults with our lines, a lot of us lose certain add on's (the Caller ID is now a fixed part of the package and not a paid one). Virgin need to recognise this. Each person you speak to suggests checking your home lines, your own phone, when most of the time the fault is in the settings at Virgin. Anyway, whoever sorted it out, thank you. All now working, though it would be nice to have a return call from them instead of being left hanging and hanging on the line. PS: I nearly bought a new phone. That would have been a waste of money!

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for coming back to me. 

I made some tweaks from here, we ask that customer do the basic checks so that we are able to eradicate some potential causes. I am glad to hear that things are now back up and running 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos
JeffR
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Zac-M. When all is working Virgin still the best system. Just tiresome sometimes trying to get your point across to those on the end of the line. Like to hear some Bach or Beethoven while hanging on for an hour and not the awful music being played. (then again I'm getting on a bit). For your info I use the Hub as a modem and have a set of Asus Zen Wi-fi 6 placed well in the house for complete 200 speed in every corner, along with hard wired to computers and TV. Perfect system. Now I know about the VM community I know where to come for future advice. A lot faster than ringing up.

Thank again

Regards

JeffR

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for coming back to me. 

Never to young or old for Bach or Beethoven. 

I am glad to hear that everything is in check. 

If we are able to assist you further then please do get in touch and we will do all we can. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos