Menu
peterr_ibg
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Caller ID and CPR Call Blocker

My CPR 107 Call Blocker has been working fine since we bought it in 2014. It significantly reduced the number of spam calls we were getting , mainly 'Out of Area' calls.

However it suddenly stopped working and after getting in touch with CPR tech support they suggested purchasing an updated unit V5000 which we did. This has the same problem

We have a display on our phone hand set and we can see that Caller ID is being picked up, however the CPR unit displays all incoming calls as 'Unavailable'.

Despite changing various settings as per CPR tech support suggestions neither device is working.

My question is, has Virgin Media changed anything that would cause the original unit to stop working and the new device to also not function?

My next step would be to return the V5000 and buy a Truecall system in the hope that that works.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Caller ID and CPR Call Blocker

Hi peterr_ibg, thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear you've had an issue with your Call-Blocking devices. I'm not aware of any changes that would cause this problem - possibly someone in the community may know better than me? 

However I'd be happy to take a look, run some checks and see if we can identify any issues with your phone line, please get back to me via PM so we can confirm a few details & I'll be able to assist further.

Tom

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@peterr_ibg wrote:

My CPR 107 Call Blocker has been working fine since we bought it in 2014. It significantly reduced the number of spam calls we were getting , mainly 'Out of Area' calls.

However it suddenly stopped working and after getting in touch with CPR tech support they suggested purchasing an updated unit V5000 which we did. This has the same problem

<snip>

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

If you are reading caller ID on the phone OK, then it is present but not being read by the call blocker. Might be an issue to do with the type of caller ID being received or the quality of the caller ID data/signal being received.

Are you connecting the equipment to a wall socket or do you get you VM landline via the back of the hub?

How many devices do you have connected to the landline?

I had a similar issue with my trueCall unit when I tried to connect both it and the cordless phone to an extension socket. The phone worked OK but the trueCall didn't read caller ID reliably.

When I plugged both trueCall and cordless phone into the master socket, it all worked reliably since. In my case it was something along the lines that the caller ID was being corrupted on the longer internal extension cabling. The phone could read it OK but the trueCall struggled to do so.

0 Kudos
peterr_ibg
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The phone is connected to a wall socket and is a Panasonic DECT unit with a total of three cordless handsets connected.

It's quite a short cable (1 metre?) from wall socket to Call Blocker and then very short cable from Call Blocker to handset.

Its odd because the old Call Blocker used to work fine and suddenly stopped. I thought it might be the Call Blocker itself having developed a fault , but the new unit is the same.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Is the wall socket you are connecting to the VM master socket or an extension socket?

The fact it stopped working out of the blue and no longer works with either CPR unit but does work with the phone is unusual.

As part of the diagnostic help, were CPR Call Blocker able to remotely 'dial-in' to the unit and check the setup/configuration of the unit for you?

0 Kudos
peterr_ibg
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It's the master socket.

CPR support was all done over their web ticket system so no , they didn't dial in , or offer to

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I think @Tom_F in message #2 was offering further help from VM if you PM him so would suggest you try that first.

I can't think why the CPR blocker would have stopped working suddenly but the phone CID continues to work unless VM have changed something in relation to your connection or the caller ID has changed in some way.

There have been a few cases on the forum with the trueCall devices where the unit has failed to read caller ID or failed to recognise incoming ringing on a VM connection. These seem to have been due to differences in how the signal for ringing and caller ID can be presented on different VM connections

For some of those cases, trueCall have been able to remotely access the trueCall unit and change the configuration of the device to match the caller ID. I was wondering if CPR had something similar they could offer to check for you.

Would suggest you get back to VM first and see what they can advise about caller ID on your line.

0 Kudos
peterr_ibg
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

VM engineer booked to arrive Thursday

I'll update once engineer has visited

peterr_ibg
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Engineer arrived promptly yesterday.

Line tested and all ok, so couldn't do anything to try to resolve

Return cut off date looming for Amazon so have returned CPR unit and ordered Truecall box.

Will update again when it arrives to see if that works

In the meantime I 'll just have to put up with the Out of Area calls trying to scam me

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Disappointing that the VM tech was unable to offer any suggestions as to your CPR call blocker problem.

When you set up your trueCall unit, read through this recent topic which may well be relevant to your situation ref dealing with caller ID recognition

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/trueCall-requirements/td-p/4685762

0 Kudos