Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Caller Display

My mams Caller Disolay stopped working 4 weeks ago. She called VM who said it must be the handset that was faulty. Purchased new handset from Argos for £30, BT DECT 2200, and still no caller display. 

Called BT Helpline for the phone and they say the phone is fine and must be a problem with the phone line. Been onto VM Customer Services for weeks now with no joy. BBC watchdog messaging me about my tweets complaining to VM. 

Anyone with any advice/help please? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Caller Display

Hi Mickycoleman

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry for the caller display issue on the phone line and would like to help get this fixed.

Can I ask, have you tried setting the phone to tone? 

Check on the back or underneath the phone for a switch that says T or P, it will need to be on T. This could sometimes be on the side of the phone and they vary depending on the make. 

If it is a cordless phone please go through the menu setting on the handset's display, look for settings, tones, key tones and set to tone dialing. 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hello John

There is no T/P slider switch on the handset. 

I called BT Helpline to ask them if there was anything on the handset to activate the caller display but they said it is automatic and the fault will be on the actual line. 

Reading other posts I believe people speak to the ‘Upline Department’ at VM and they can check things from their end. So far I’ve had no joy from VM apart from them telling me the new handset is faulty !

https://shop.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/7ss7/bt_decor_2200_user_guide_-_feb._2016.pdf

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me. My colleague has very kindly removed the caller display function and re-added it. Can you check if it's now working for me?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Still not working 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hmm, can I ask whether there are any other features on the landline that you're aware of? I can see that it's on the switch correctly but if it's still not working, we'll need to see what we're missing.

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Not sure what you mean by features?

The phone makes and receives calls ok but nothing from the caller display side of it. 

Like I say when we called BT they said it was an issue with the actual phone line that would need investigation 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mickycoleman,

I think my colleague was trying to work out if the handset itself has a caller display feature that may be interfering with our attempts to offer you the caller display feature

Is this the case?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

This was previously working fine for over a year until 3rd July and the new phone purchased was exactly the same model as the previous one. 

BT have said it is a fault on the phone line which will need an engineer to visit.

After looking this up elsewhere it looks most likely to be a faulty relay within the comms cabinet

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me Mickeycoleman,

Can you please tell me if this is a pulse or tone setting on the landline phone?

When you're on the phone, if you press the 5 key - if the sound you hear is a definitive beep, then this is set to tone. If you hear a half a bleep or a series clicks or sounds, this is set to pulse

When it is set to pulse it will not work and you'll need to change the setting at your end.

To change the setting,

• Check on the back or underneath the phone for a switch that says T or P, it will need to be on T. This could sometimes be on the side of the phone and they vary depending on the make.
  • If it is a cordless phone the you will need to go through the menu setting on the handset's display, look for settings, tones, key tones and set to tone dialling.
  • If you still can't get the tone to work, please consult the phone manual or speak with the manufacturer/shop it was bought from.
  • Occasionally, you will find that the call get's disconnected after pressing number 5 this would also indicate it is set to pulse.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos