Menu
SimonWalker
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Call to Japan not going to correct number

Hi all

Hope you can advise. Our Virgin landline is used regularly to make calls to Japan, using an international calls bundle or add-on.

For a few days we have been unable to call one of these numbers. It connects to someone that does not sound Japanese. Other calls to Japan are fine. 

When we call that number from a mobile, it connects, so there is no issue at that end. 

Also, when the recipient that we cannot get through to calls us, she gets a message along the lines of “number not available”, referring to our landline. 

Any idea what is going on there? 

I have checked with Customer Services if there is any issue with the International Calls bundle etc. but all is in order. That’s as far as I got with that. 

Any idea what is going on there?

Thanks. Keep Safe. 

0 Kudos
Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Call to Japan not going to correct number

Hi SimonWalker,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. This is a strange one! Have you tried calling the number again since your post on Sunday?  If so are you still having the same issue when calling this particular number that someone else is answering?

The person you are calling in Japan, are you calling landline or a mobile number? If it is a landline number you are calling it may best to ask the person to check with their provider as well to make sure there are no issues from their end.

Please let us know if you still need assistance.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
SimonWalker
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jodi

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. 

The issue is ongoing and intermittent. The calls are to a landline. When the issue occurs, the call goes through to a recorded message that is not Japanese. Since my first post there have been normal successful calls. I have cross-checked very carefully and it is not a number entry error. 

It only occurs with this specific number, or at least it has not occurred with another regularly called Japanese landline. And we’ve asked if there are any problems at the Japanese end: no. 

Very strange. I do wish Virgin provided a way to report such faults without having to go through a lengthy 150 call and long wait, especially given that the chances of them actually being able to resolve this are slim. I simply want to make Virgin aware of the issue, in case there are other isolated cases. 

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi SimonWalker,

Thanks for coming back to us. 

Can you please provide us with the time and dates of the calls that are failing and also for the ones that are successfully going through? If you don't have these, I kindly ask that you log them for us so we can see if there's any sort of pattern to this problem and check the routing of the calls.

Can you also confirm if you are calling this number directly or using a third party dialler for cheaper rates? 

Finally can you also let me know the exact message you're receiving when the call fails and what message the person on the other end of the line receives when dialing your number.

Thanks a lot 🙂

Beth

0 Kudos