cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call from Telephone Preference Service

Oldboater
Tuning in

Hi, yesterday I had a call from [REMOVED] saying they were calling about scam calls I had been receiving on my Virgin Media landline and that they, (TPS), could improve the service, I didn’t have to do anything.

The caller was foreign and the line poor even though it was a local call. They had some information on my Virgin Media account but they wanted me to confirm the start date on my debit card which incidentally they already knew or guessed.

It was at this point I terminated the conversation. On looking up the number on “Who Called Me” it seems likely that this is a scam. 

Perhaps Virgin Media can clarify whether or not the caller was in fact a scammer.

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TPS does not stop or in any way deal with scam calls. They are there as a preference service to stop you receiving marketing calls from legitimate companies that are registered with them.

Number spoofing is common. Scammers can clone any number they like to make it look like the call is local, which is why the mods have removed it. The call quality was poor as more than likely it was originating from Eastern Asia.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Client62
Legend

the start date on my debit card which incidentally they already knew - How if you did not provide it ???

The caller asked me to confirm that the card was valid in 23 or words to that effect, they didn’t have any other details, perhaps I could have phrased it better.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

This was a scam call. The TPS is a free service. See

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/faq

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

TPS does not stop or in any way deal with scam calls. They are there as a preference service to stop you receiving marketing calls from legitimate companies that are registered with them.

Number spoofing is common. Scammers can clone any number they like to make it look like the call is local, which is why the mods have removed it. The call quality was poor as more than likely it was originating from Eastern Asia.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

The original poster might want to contact their bank and have their Debit Card replaced.

I didn’t give any bank details. A couple of months ago I was going to cancel my landline because of scam calls and I hardly use it anyway but was persuaded not to during a call with Virgin, my package  subscription was reduced as an incentive, I also confirmed I was registered with TPS, then here we are someone pretending to be from TPS trying to scam me via a local number, I’m not saying there has been collusion out there, maybe it is just a coincidence.

Perhaps this thread should be transferred to the Security page instead.