Menu
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Call cut out feature to cut off calls after 60mins

Hi.

Would it be possible for you to implement a feature into your phones to cut out calls after 60 mins? 

I'm asking as I'm having problems with my nan constantly going over 60mins on calls and running the bill up 😐. She goes over by £9.00 some months 😐. She doesn't understand 60 mins. I've even bought her a timer so she can time her calls. That doesn't work sadly 😐

J.H
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Call cut out feature to cut off calls after 60mins

Hi Johnny1983

This would not be possible. 

Chris. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

That's a shame 😐

It would be useful in protecting the elderly from huge bills chris 😁

When your stuck in a great conversation it's hard to know when 60 mins has reached 😐

J.H
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Buy her a countdown timer. Set it at 58 minutes & there you go. It’s what my mum does.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

We can imagine it is hard to work out 60 minutes when your chattering away Johnny1983. 

What we can do is pass this onto our Team as feedback and see if its possible to implement this in the future

I think though the best bet is the Timer you have mentioned 

Gareth_L

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Gareth 😁

J.H
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you nodrogd.

I will look into getting her a countdown timer 😁

J.H
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Or you could consider keeping VM for broadband, cancelling the phone line and changing your telephone service to Vonage.  Fifteen quid setup costs, it connects via your hub.  At £10.25 a month inclusive of all UK landline calls and rental it's probably a lot cheaper than VM, there's no 60 minute limit, and paid call to mobiles and international are much cheaper.  Vonage customer service has a pretty poor reputation, about the same as Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Andruser. 

I might consider vonage in the future. 

We all know why virgin medias customer service is poor.  It's because they choose to operate their call centres from india. Rather than pay to have them over here in uk 😐.

Profit comes first. Before customer sadly 😐

J.H
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

We all know why virgin medias customer service is poor.  It's because they choose to operate their call centres from india. Rather than pay to have them over here in uk 

Broadly speaking that's correct, but there's a couple of parts to it.  If you search diligently enough you can find recruitment ads for the outsourced call centre provider that VM use, and with a bit more research you'll find that their pay rates are about one third of what (for example) IBM's offshored call centres pay.  So VM's offshore provider is the worst sort of barrel-scraper, and anybody competent they recruit by accident won't stay.  The second part is scripting, training, and authority to act - VM skimp on this for their Indian operation (probably because they don't trust the offshore staff to do anything than follow a very basic and restrictive script).  If VM did that with a UK call centre the performance wouldn't change by much.  But it is interesting that according to Ofcom data, BT now have fewer broadband complaints per 100,000 customers than VM do, and BT's complaint trend is down, whereas VM has been on an upward tick in the last two reported quarters.

.Profit comes first. Before customer sadly 

As long as we customers continue to pay VM's well-padded bills, nothing will change.  BT obviously concluded that in the medium to long term, cheap-but-crap offshore customer service was going to cost them more than it saved.  VM's management think the opposite.