Menu
Maxwell690
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Call charges, not made any calls

Hi Virgin,

I'm being billed for numerous calls that last exactly 1minute, or two minutes or three minutes etc. but I have no phone plugged into my landline. I've been waiting on your chat service for over an hour now so not sure what to do about this. Can you advise?

Thanks

Max

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Call charges, not made any calls

This problem is mentioned with some regularity and it often seems to be from customers who never use their line and have no phone connected.

Are you able to identify the number(s) involved?

Some similar past topics by way of an example

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/keep-getting-charged-for-calls-I-haven-t-made/td-p/4...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Unmade-calls-charged/td-p/4597007

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/calls-to-unknown-number/td-p/4643528

If you receive your landline via a conventional landline socket then a crossed connection is often put forward as the cause. VM may offer to send a technician to investigate.

Do you have any other equipment connected to the line which might possibly dial out e.g. burglar alarm, call blocker, personal/health care alarms? These have been mentioned in the past for running up charges.

Have you connected a phone to your landline to see if it is actually working correctly? Are you able to dial in/out OK and does the caller ID of your line match your actual VM number and the number you are being billed for?

One of the forum team will respond in due course to assist further.

0 Kudos
Maxwell690
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I've got some of the numbers; they're mainly local but ringing all through the night!

No equipment connected to the landline.

Dial tone is sometimes there and sometimes not there but with no phone connected I cannot understand how any calls could be occurring. Crossed line seems unlikely as the calls are all exactly 1minute, 2 minutes, 3minutes in duration. You couldn't time them that accurately even if you wanted to.

Max

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Similar report here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Being-charges-for-landline-calls-not-made/td-p/46354...

if you are not getting a reliable dial tone then you most-likely have a fault by the sound of it.

Do you use a regular telephone socket to connect or a phone connection via the back of the hub?

0 Kudos
Maxwell690
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Regular telephone socket. Thanks for your support.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You will need the forum team to assist you here but the issue you have reported, and the fact you are using a regular phone socket, suggest you have a line fault or some other issue with the connection/billing.

If you do not have it already, you should request VM to show full itemisation of all charges for your landline bill going forward. When these 'phantom call' topics pop up on the forum they often involve sums below the 50p default limit and no dialled numbers are shown. VM have not given out number information on sub-50p call charges so it becomes very difficult for the customer to prove they did not make the calls as no numbers are shown/known for sub-50p calls.

The questions you have already answered will help the forum team when they get here. They will most likely send a technican to investigate and arrange this with you via PM for your account/contact info.

They normally reply within a week but are usually quicker than that.

0 Kudos
Maxwell690
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your help.

Max

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You might like to unmark the helpful answer until the official VM forum team have responded and your problem is fully resolved. It may possibly delay a forum team response if the topic is showing as 'solved'.

If you discover the cause of the problem, then posting back the final outcome/resolution on the forum may help others in the future.

I hope the VM forum team can resolve it for you.

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Maxwell690,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am really sorry to hear that you seem to be having some landline issues lately, and that you appear to be getting billed for calls that you don't believe you have made. To clarify, are you stating that you don't have a landline phone plugged into a phone socket in the wall or plugged into the back of your router?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Maxwell690
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zach,

Thanks for your message.

We've nothing plugged in at all, not into the router or the wall. The initial customer service representative just said they're genuine calls and that there was nothing she could do. This seemed ridiculous as we cannot have possibly made the calls. We've tried again today and they're sending an engineer to check for 'crossed lines'. What is really weird is that every call is exactly 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes or 4 minutes in duration. They're never a non-round number! They are all through the night to mainly local places such as a funeral home and a hall that you can hire. There is no way they'd be answering these exactly 1, 2, 3 or 4 minute calls through the night either. We initially thought maybe they were answerphone messages but we've had 1 and 2 minute calls to the same number so we ruled that out.

Max

0 Kudos