Menu
sbhikha
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

COMPLAINT!

hello!

i have set up with virgin at the back end of april and had nothing but major issues! the lady i have dealt with promised to keep our home phone number and its extremely important we did so. upon activation, our number wasnt ported even though our old line with ee was still active. this was not disconnected till mid may. 

i spoke to the lady many many times and each time over a period of 6 weeks she promised my number would come across and she was trying different ways. i was put through to various departments who said it wouldnt be possible to do and every time i rang her back she promised it would get done, until she stopped answering my messages and calls. 

now various other teams that deal with me have no idea how to solve this, not only that, i am now stuck in a contract i have no use for as the number is something we very much needed to keep! ive spent hours and hours every other day on the phone, with promises of callbacks which i never receieve!

i want to end this hell!!!! i want to cancel this contract. the sales lady clearly kept promising and promising until my 14 days were over so im now stuck!

no one is helping me! im left without a very important number which i have explaned the importance of numerous times. ive had major financial loss due to this and have to spend my days on the phone to virgin instead of actually working!

i am sick to death of empty promises from you all and getting no where and no one ringing me back to resolves this issue every time i ring and spend hours and hours on the phone!!!

SORT IT OUT!!!!!!

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: COMPLAINT!

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you!

We're awfully sorry to hear of the issues you've had when porting the number from your previous provider to Virgin Media. 

Can you please confirm what you've been advised in relation to the home phone on previous discussions with our team? Can you also confirm if you're a residential customer or a business customer?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@sbhikha wrote:

hello!

i have set up with virgin at the back end of april and had nothing but major issues! the lady i have dealt with promised to keep our home phone number and its extremely important we did so. upon activation, our number wasnt ported even though our old line with ee was still active. this was not disconnected till mid may. 

<snip>

How did the original EE number eventually become disconnected? As a result of the porting process or a cancellation which you had put in with EE? If the latter, was there a cancellation order from you on the EE line pending while you were trying to port the number to VM? Unfortunately the longer the period from disconnection, the less chance you have of getting the number back.

0 Kudos
sbhikha
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

After being promised over a period of 6 weeks my number can now not be ported across and it has been lost due to an issue on your side. However all this time I have been promised time and time again it will get resolved to no avail!

I am a residential customer.

0 Kudos
sbhikha
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I had given notice to EE of my cancellation (after my virgin had been activated and a number port requested) and they kept the account active to allow the port to go through. For whatever reason, the porr failed on virgins side... the number has now been lost and frankly I want nothing to do with virgin, after 6 weeks of over promising something they could not deliver on. I've been promised various call backs and had nothing. 

They think my job is to chase them for hours everyday 

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for explaining things further @sbhika,

I am very sorry for the poor experience and I appreciate it is not a great start. Unfortunately, if the number is no longer active with your previous provider there would be no way for us to request the port. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Ayisha_B So if the OP joined VM on the assurance that the number would be ported, and VM have failed to do that, then VM are in breach of contract (as per the Consumer Rights Act 2015).  So presumably VM will be both willing to release them from contract without penalty (if they wish) and make a reasonable discretionary payment for the inconvenience?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@sbhikha wrote:

I had given notice to EE of my cancellation (after my virgin had been activated and a number port requested) and they kept the account active to allow the port to go through. For whatever reason, the porr failed on virgins side... the number has now been lost and frankly I want nothing to do with virgin, after 6 weeks of over promising something they could not deliver on. I've been promised various call backs and had nothing. 

They think my job is to chase them for hours everyday 

It is regularly mentioned on the forum that a port will fail if the number is no longer active (can no longer be dialled) or there is a pending disconnection instruction on the line. The first requirement is well documented but not the second, from my attempts at research. The OFCOM porting information is also very confusing in this regard.

At the start of the year I read this topic

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/HELP-LAND-LINE-NUMBER-LOST/m-p/4570242#M146879

where a customer did manage to recover a lost number via some collaborative process between VM and the other provider while the lost number was held in 'quarantine' before being re-issued. Guess this depends on who actually owns the numbers and how many parties are involved.

Not clear if Jbradders1960 in the link above achieved his goal via the VM forum team or some other VM division nor who was involved in the process. If the OP's line ceased in mid May and we are now in mid June, is their original number still in quarantine somewhere with some provider?

Aside from whether the porting process was followed correctly, this topic does have a familiar ring of VM mis-communication and mis-information between different departments about it being relayed to the OP.

I hope you are able to get some further investigation and assistance @sbhikha and recover your number.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi @sbhikha,

Thank you for getting back to us about this issue. I understand your frustration. This is not the customer experience we aim to provide.

As I am having issues locating your account, I will need to send you a Private Message to get a few more details from you to look into this issue and to see what we can do to help.

Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I will be in touch soon.

Thanks,

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

sbhikha
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The number has now gone back to open reach, and VM can obtain this but would have to pay for it (i believe its about £20-£25), however, when i have told them they need to contact openreach to request the number be routed to me, they've been unwilling to do it, most likely because they dont want to pay for it. 

I have now set up with BT who have done exactly that and got the number back (thats all it required but VM just wouldnt do it)

To anyone facing similar issues, I would recommend pushing and pushing. VM are now, since dealing with this issue since April, releasing me from the contract! I have experience working with number ports and so on, i know how it works. It is definitely possible to retrieve a number back, it just depends if VM are willing to do it for you, in my case they weren't and I found an alternative way, no thanks to VM.

I have spent hours and hours, day after day on the phone to them, promises will call backs to no avail. Yesterday for the first time someone did ring me back and within 7 mins cancelled the contract.

Thanks everyone for your help! I hope this can help anyone facing the same issue.

0 Kudos