Menu
gasco5
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Bt line house security alarm

Hi I have just had the virgin full install and the have managed to save my old bt number which is good, my bt line is dead and the house security alarm uses this to dial out to alert you, this was one of my concerns with the installation however I was assured the engineer on the day would be able to make sure this can still happen, however this is not the case, can you please let me know how to resolve this please. Kind regards gasco5 

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bt line house security alarm

Hi, I'm sure a member of staff will be available soon to help but I would like to ask if any of the following was made clear to you when switching over to Virgin's Phone Service....

• If there’s a power cut or network outage, you won’t be able to make or receive calls.
  • If you have accessibility needs, call us on 0345 454 1111 and we’ll send an engineer to provide an Emergency Backup device at no extra cost that allows 999 calls during outages.
  • Any devices connected to your phone, such as care, fire or burglar alarms will stop working if there’s a power or network outage.
  • Some connected devices might not be compatible with our fibre phone line – please check with the device manufacturer.
  • Devices connected to extension wiring and sockets will stop working after your phone service has been switched.
  • Please keep the Hub switched on 24/7, even overnight, or you won’t be able to make or receive calls.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/setup/triple/phone 

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Gigabit 5G Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM TT BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
gasco5
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi thank you for the reply, yes I was told of all the points however they said they could and would be able to make a connection as they come across this quite often, my new virgin router sits opposite the bt socket which I'm told a connection to the router should be possible. Thank you for you quick reply, kind regards, mg

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Technically speaking yes this is possible, I'll leave it to a staff member to decide if this is the case.

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi gasco5,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

Can you confirm if you're phone is plugged into the back of the hub?

I can arrange for a technician to come and install an ebull for you, as a back up for if the phone goes down.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
gasco5
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes it is plugged into the back of the hub, what is a ebull please, kind regards Mark

0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The EBUL is an emergency backup line but not relevant to your home alarm situation (see pages 35 to 37 in the home phone guide below).

https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf

The issue of existing phone extensions not being reconnected during a VM phone installation via the VM hub is a regular source of complaint on the forum. It seems to be a very hit and miss process as to whether it is done or not and it is unclear what the official VM line is. Suspect it may well be down to the individual technician who turns up and if they happen to have the relevant skills/equipment/materials/time to do it on the day. It's an area of the VM installation process which seems to lack any consistency in what can be expected.

If your legacy telephone socket and the VM hub are in the same room as each other, one would have thought that would have been a situation where they should have been able to offer to do that for you as part of the installation.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So does the EBUL keep the hub power up in the event power is lost?

If this is the case, I can't see it helping in areas like mine where if the electrical phase with the cabinets on goes down so do the cabs, its happened a few times in my old address where we had power but no virgin services because of one phase taking out cabinets and some houses.

0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I believe it is a battery-powered device with a SIM card in it which will only dial the 999 emergency number via a telephone handset plugged into the EBUL box. Haven't seen/used one myself but that's my understanding.

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

OK that makes sense, so its a mobile phone lol

Well at least it should stay online regardless then.

0 Kudos