Menu
AnyonebutVM2
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Broadband and Phone Frustration

After weeks of broadband problems (still not resolved) this afternoon the landline suddenly stopped working. No dial tone. Stuck on the helpline on my (non-Virgin) mobile phone for over 55 minutes waiting (as usual!) to book an engineer. Couldn't stand the music any longer, so gave up. 

The troubleshooter in the app is useless for both broadband and phone. It just takes you through a loop repeatedly. 

I've been with VM for over 20 years. If only I could economically get out of the contract. 

0 Kudos
SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 34
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband and Phone Frustration

If you can't get through on the phone then VM are recommending you send a text to 07533 051809 describing the issue and you should get a response. This is a text only service, it does not support voice calls.  
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/When-and-how-to-use-our-messaging-service/ba-p/425...

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi AnyonebutVM2,

Welcome to our forums and thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry that you've been having trouble with your broadband and phone line, we'd be happy to take a closer look at this for you.

I've had a look at the backend of your services and have a few things I'd like to go through with you. With regards to your broadband, it doesn't look like your hub is talking to us properly. I've tried resetting it on the network and it does show as operational but it isn't reporting fully. There does also appear to be a performance issue identified in your area which is affecting multiple customers. Our engineering teams have been automatically notified of the issue and will investigate and fix the issue as soon as possible.

I've also run some checks on your landline and it all seems to be fine as far as the switch is concerned. I can see that you've already booked an engineer for this which would be the best course of action to have this fault resolved.

If you'd care to expand on the broadband issues you've been having, we'd be more than happy to take a closer look at your connection if you're still having trouble once the local problem has been addressed.

Thanks,

Rachael

AnyonebutVM2
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rachael

Thank you very much for your reply. After several calls to the VM helpline over recent weeks and SMS helpline this morning, and sitting on call queues for 3/4 hour each time, I felt that I was being processed through a flowchart script again and again. In contrast, your reply feels like I'm being treated as a person. Brilliant.

I have been despairing that I would be saddled with this unacceptable problem. 

Here’s a few comments ahead of the technician visit on Tuesday... 

Firstly... Nothing has changed within our home regarding equipment, modem location, etc. But every time I go to a helpline the assumption is that the problem is within the house. 

The Hub 3 modem was replaced a couple of weeks ago and made no difference after the first couple of hours. I bought a booster from Amazon (cheaper and faster delivery than VM) which enabled tablet and mobile to connect more frequently than recently - but not always. 

I have usually done a reset once a day and often more but to no avail. 

I was told I was in a signal dead spot which was why the booster was recommended. However we haven't been in dead spot for the last 20 years!

Here's a couple of common examples... 

Speeds are erratic. Wednesday's download speeds varied from 0.6 (yes 0.6) to 110. A group Zoom call I was hosting in the morning frequently froze and at one stage we had to restart. This had been typical over recent weeks. 

Last night we successfully streamed Netflix for a couple of hours or so. About 10pm we tried to view a programme from BBC iPlayer. It repeatedly kept buffering. Then at 11pm I tried again and all was well. What had changed? Nothing in this house, that's for sure. 

One suggestion I saw on a Google search was to ask for a Hub 4.

Sorry - that was rather long! But thank you again for treating me as an individual person. So refreshing. 

0 Kudos
Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply AnyonebutVM2. 

We appreciate that you have provided a good amount of information regarding the issues you have been experiencing. 

I have checked the account and it does appear that the issue Rachael referred to in her previous message has been resolved. 

How is the service today please? Have you seen any improvements? 

Thanks 

Nat
0 Kudos
AnyonebutVM2
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 34
Flag for a moderator

The issue has not been resolved. Far from it. 

• Download speeds today range from 16.4 to 56.9 (Top speed yesterday hit 111 just once, but did go as low as 2.65}
  • Landline still has no dial tone but we can make and receive calls.

An engineer is due to visit on Tuesday morning.

We live in hope! 

0 Kudos
Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for confirming. 

Please do give us an update following the visit and if required, we will be happy to assist further. 

Thanks, 

Nat
0 Kudos
AnyonebutVM2
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Just had SMS reminder of engineer appt tomorrow morning.

After weeks of progressively slower speeds overall, I do hope the problem will be solved.

I'm paying for 100Mbps and often getting next to nothing!

The broadband speeds on my M100 are appalling.

Here's a selection of yesterday and this morning: Column3 = Download; Column 4 = Upload (rounded to whole numbers)

20/12/20, 06:39Wifi252
20/12/20, 07:18Wifi61
20/12/20, 10:45Wifi21
20/12/20, 10:50Wifi6810
20/12/20, 11:24Wifi546
20/12/20, 11:32Wifi202
20/12/20, 16:02Wifi899
20/12/20, 19:58Wifi408

21/12/20, 08:56Wifi4610
21/12/20, 09:36Wifi38
21/12/20, 09:38Wifi122
21/12/20, 09:42Wifi461
21/12/20, 10:08Wifi87

The extra frustration is not being able to talk vocally with anyone with any clout! (And the landlibe still has no dial tone)

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply and the update, AnyonebutVM2. Our engineer will be able to get this sorted for you. Let us know how it goes.

0 Kudos
AnyonebutVM2
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Engineer came Tuesday morning. Great guy, very helpful. Generally there has been an improvement in broadband service but it still drops out occasionally. This evening (Christmas Eve) broadband speeds max about 40, slowest 10. Room for significant improvement! And I had received an email from Virgin Media on morning of 23rd to say " the problem has been fixed and you should be up and running again". Sorry, Virgin Media - you are misinformed!
0 Kudos