cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Booking a technician to change Virgin Media wiring

Rocket3
Joining in

Hi,

Thanks for the email saying you're switching from copper lines to fibre. I have an extension phone in a different room from the hub. Please could you help me to book an engineer to rewire?

Also, I do not understand what is meant by "network outage" in your email about the change. Which network does it refer to? Is it Virgin's fibre network or my mobile phone service provider's network? Either way, I'd like to be certain that I will be able to call emergency services if one or both of those networks suffers an outage. I'd be grateful for your advice.

Kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Rocket3 👋 welcome to the community! Thank you for posting. 
Sorry to hear your concerns regarding the landline switchover information, and that you need some help getting set up! You can find more information about the switchover process on our website via this page 👉 Landline Switchover | Virgin Media Help and in this community article 👉 Everything You Need To Know - Virgin Media Community - 4757332

The switchover is concerning your landline rather than your mobile phone, when we are referring to 'Network' this is the local cabling network that provides your broadband service. As your landline will be operating via the Hub following the switchover, this means that your landline service may be affected if there is a broadband outage. Outages can happen on occasion if there is a fault or maintenance works happening in the area.

If you or someone in your home is vulnerable or has a disability, or if you are reliant on your landline service to contact emergency services in the case of an emergency please let us know and we can arrange for an Emergency Back Up Line (EBUL) to be fitted. If this is not required as you have a mobile phone, that's no problem! Just let us know if you do need additional support getting this set up. 

Hopefully this helps answer your questions and concerns but if not, please just let us know so we can offer more help!

I will send you a PM now to confirm a few account details so we can arrange the switchover appointment for you. You can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 📩 We can then return to this public thread with another update when possible. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Rocket3 👋 welcome to the community! Thank you for posting. 
Sorry to hear your concerns regarding the landline switchover information, and that you need some help getting set up! You can find more information about the switchover process on our website via this page 👉 Landline Switchover | Virgin Media Help and in this community article 👉 Everything You Need To Know - Virgin Media Community - 4757332

The switchover is concerning your landline rather than your mobile phone, when we are referring to 'Network' this is the local cabling network that provides your broadband service. As your landline will be operating via the Hub following the switchover, this means that your landline service may be affected if there is a broadband outage. Outages can happen on occasion if there is a fault or maintenance works happening in the area.

If you or someone in your home is vulnerable or has a disability, or if you are reliant on your landline service to contact emergency services in the case of an emergency please let us know and we can arrange for an Emergency Back Up Line (EBUL) to be fitted. If this is not required as you have a mobile phone, that's no problem! Just let us know if you do need additional support getting this set up. 

Hopefully this helps answer your questions and concerns but if not, please just let us know so we can offer more help!

I will send you a PM now to confirm a few account details so we can arrange the switchover appointment for you. You can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 📩 We can then return to this public thread with another update when possible. Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

Molly

Rocket3
Joining in

Thank you Molly. I’ll reply to your PM.

I am concerned that Virgin believes that having a mobile phone is sufficient to ensure one can make calls to emergency services if there is a Network outage. It assumes all of the following three things:

1. The mobile will have a charged battery when needed in an emergency 

2. There’s a reliable signal in the home.

3. The mobile phone is easily found and reachable at the time of the emergency.

I’d be interested to know Virgin’s response.

Kind regards

Thank you for letting me know! I look forward to your reply. 
Just regarding your other concerns on the mobile side of things, here's a bit more information for you. 

The upgrade to 21CV is a national upgrade across all providers, you can see more about how the UK is upgrading its telephone service across the country here 👉 https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centre/2021/upgrading-landlines-to-digital-technology. This also mentions the option of an Emergency Back Up Line (EBUL) being provided to contact emergency services if needed. 

The UK is the only country in the world that requires a mobile phone to have a SIM in in order to dial 999. Even if your Sim card is suspended or barred, you can still dial 999 from any phone with a mobile signal to call emergency services. 
If you are a Virgin mobile or O2 mobile customer and would like to check the coverage in your home you can do so here 👉 https://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker

If you still have concerns about this we can of course get you set up and fitted with an EBUL so that you have access to calling emergency services via your landline in the instance of a network outage. We can also advise that the EBUL would be provided right next your HUB so you know where to locate it. Just let us know if we need to arrange this for you and we can do so as part of the switchover appointment!

We can return back to this public thread with another update when possible following our PM conversation to get the switch booked in for you. 

All the best. 🌞

Molly

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi All 👋

Just returning to this public thread to keep it updated!

Thanks to Rocket3 for PMing with me 📨 we were able to confirm all the details we needed to book in a technicians appointment to complete the landline switchover. 

Hope the appointment goes well! Please let us know if there is anything further you need and we will do our best to offer help! 

Molly