Menu
Simmoderby
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Bogus calls from 'BT Openreach'

Just a heads up to all!

Over the past 2 days I have had calls from people reporting to work for BT Openreach. They say that they have had notification from my router that my internet service is not working correctly - and then offering to 'fix it' for me.

I queried the fact that they were calling from BT Openreach when I am with Virgin, but the guy told me that BT Openreach is the supplier of the infrastructure and everything goes through them, with Virgin just being at the customer face...……..

I refused to connect them to my laptop and hung up. They called again 4 times yesterday and then again today.

Very persistent in their calls, would be easy to fall into the trap and give them remote access, so be careful out there!!

HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bogus calls from 'BT Openreach'

Well known scam. Well done for a timely reminder. Glad you had the sense to respond in the way you did. I'd have been less even-tempered!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Simmoderby
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@HowardML

They did sound very convincing, a less 'switched on' person could easily have been tricked into this.  I was very polite - but when they called again today, I said I'd have to speak to Virgin - then they hung up!!

I am actually trying to speak to Virgin now about a different matter, but can't get a reply - loving the 'hold' music though 🙂

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

These scammers are hunting for the people who have little knowledge of how their systems or providers operate. The people in the know usually string them along for as long as possible, as its costing them to make the call. You can also have a good laugh at the idiotic things they will try & tell you.

A lot of people are using call screening now which means when they do actually talk to someone, as you have found, they tend to get more persistant.

PS. The @mentions only work for Forum Staff & VIP's on these boards.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
teabag
Hero
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd said: "PS. The @mentions only work for Forum Staff & VIP's on these boards."

Not quite true, there is a manual way round it 👍

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
DaveMobile
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello!

It seems the scam is alive and well...  so be aware!

I had 3 x calls today all from "Unobtainable".  The first one from a recording said my internet and phone line was going to be disconnected for illegal activities... Press 1 to speak to Customer Service... followed by dreadful accent woman asking me what I want.  She then said she was from BT OpenReach and when I said I was not their customer she cut me off.   A further two calls were received - on silent from "Unobtainable" and another from a woman claiming to be from BT.  T hey never got as far as telling me I have a fault they can fix - as soon as I said "I'm not your customer" the line went dead.  What a surprise. 

It's a shame - when my doctor calls or I get incoming calls from relatives in Australia, these calls usually shows as "unobtainable" - otherwise I would just hang up because I don't want to talk to anybody who doesn't want to tell me how to call them back!

0 Kudos
Aclee
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just received same call 10 mins ago, fortunately my wife passed me the phone as she thought it was legitimate and was engaging with him. I am concerned that I am currently in dialogue with Virgin regarding TV error codes and poor broadband speed (my internet is now slower with 300 as it was with 100) then just so happen to get this call the day after. Maybe I’m just overly suspicious of everyone! 😁

0 Kudos
HelenPerks362
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I just had a fairly lengthy discussion with an Asian man claim to work for the technical department for bt openreach.  I have knowledge of both bt and openreach and no they are separate companies. Anyway, he persisted to try and tell me I had a problem with my router, junk files and a virus apparently. I argued with him and questioned him at every point. He was presistant. Anyway I "humoured" him and asked how he was going to fix my problem. He asked me if I had and could see my bt router. Oh sorry virgin router. Of course I said. He said are there any lights flashing, no I said. I'm not actually looking at my router. OK he said no lights flashing. My virgin router is set up to be a modem only I said. Oh OK so how many devices do you have attached? At this point I was getting a little more into this game. Surely, I said, if you are technical suuport you would know that? Yes I do he said I just need you to confirm. No you tell me I said...... Well obviously you have a computer attached to it. No I said. A laptop? No I said. A phone? No I said. Then what do you have he asked with a very frastrated voice. I replied a pc, a Chromebook, a mobile phone and a tablet. At this point I think he may have realised he'd pick on the wrong woman, this one isn't scared of a guy ringing from technical support and trying to scare her. What a great phone call to start my Monday morning, thank you moron! Lol

archduchess
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've just had similar - 'Nancy' was calling from BTOpenreach about my broadband.

"That's funny, my broadband is with Virgin."

"TalkTalk, Virgin Media, BT.. they all come through us."

"That's funny, because Virgin comes through the fibre optic cable in my front garden, and my BT services used to come through a phone line in through the back of the house that got physically cut off by me 15 years ago when it stopped working. I'm very confused as to how you're providing my internet through that."

click- boooooooooop.

I then agonised for five minutes over whether I'd been difficult with an actual genuine caller, because that's just how I roll! I've had lots of the terrible recorded message ones on the landline too recently. If I didn't like the sound of a vintage telephone ringing so much, I'd unplug the damn thing.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Good afternoon @archduchess 

I like how you roll,  theses are not genuine callers, we don't use the same cables. We also would never call about broadband issues (unless a call back has been asked for) 

Vintage phone you say?  Sounds incredible (no pun intended) 

Kind regards,

Zak_M