Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 11 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Blocking nuisance calls

Hi CherryNWhite
There are phones that offer this option. I have one but it is a bit over complicated. I do not think it is as good as the one I got for my mother - a BT 4000. From memory it had the option to block withheld numbers, international numbers and out of area numbers. Plus the usual options to block numbers you do not know.

J
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 12 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi CherryNWhite,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting.
As JohnSe advised you can get some phones that you are able to do this with.

We also offer Anonymous caller rejection which is £2.70 a month for this and this will only stop the calls that dial 141 first before dialling.

If the calls you are getting are unwanted marketing calls where the number is not presented you may find some useful information on our Help & Support page.  
Take care,
Louise
Forum Support Team

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 13 of 19
Flag for a moderator

will Virgin be introducing a service like BTs 1572 option?  We are being plagued by nuisance calls from Benefits UK with random numbers showing, I have blocked many of these but the still call with a new number showing, we know they tried ten times in one day

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 14 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I have to disagree, TalkTalk call block service forces the caller to record a message who they are then you can choose to add them to your allowed callers or block them.

Using this service I had ZERO (yes ZERO) nuisance calls in 2 years.

Virgin really need to sort this out.
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 15 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Indeed, BT do now have a brilliant call blocking service - both free and also 'delux' for more personalisation. If Virgin don't get on board, it'll be a major factor for me into the future. I've already moved by elderly parents to BT because it's a much better service.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 16 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Come on VIRGIN - we all know where we can get this service from now - BT and Talk Talk have it you need to get on board. There is no use offering us an 'anonymous caller' option which we have to pay for that most of us already have incorporated into our phones anyway. What we need is an ability to BLOCK a call ........ It's not rocket science! Or is it?.........
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 17 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Laura, I understand your frustration with this and we are trying to combat nuisance calls, TPS works with us to help us with this. 

We have lots of useful information about this on our website here if you want to have a look.

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 18 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Megan - as I've already said....myself, friiends and family have gone to some lengths to stop these nuisance calls. TPS, special phones and finally using BT's blocking service. I've read all the blurb that your link takes me to. This has been increasingly more and more frustrating and started ten years ago now at least. It's not as if this is a new phenomina - just a quick browse on Google shows the massive problem this is across the whole of the UK. Rather than keep sending myself (and other Virgin customers) back to your links (which don't offer any permanent solution) may I ask that Virgin look at what BT and Talk Talk are currently offering?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 19 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Ofcom have been "Working" with the large providers for a while now to get them to block.

I know some providers in the US are now doing it due to customer backlash.

I honestly think that they don't want to do it because call termination fees are a great earner.  They traditionally could earn 10-20% of a phone providers total profits in the UK!  I think prices have changed a lot, like from 40p connect down to 0.7p connect, so that would be one reason why call volumes have gone up.

The TPS is useless as it only blocks Legitimate companies.

Blocking phones/boxes work good except for numbers that are Fake or Withheld.

The other problem with "Blocking" services is that sometimes it stops legitimate calls.  My sons mobile came with a blocking service pre-installed, but when his data connection would go down then numbers couldn't be checked to see if they were okay, so new callers couldn't get through!

BT and TT's solutions are not great but at least we are getting somewhere. 

Back to the termination fees, TT blocks like 11 Million calls a month (for only 175k users).  Termination fee for those calls is about 0.7p per minute (billed up front I think, so 0.7p connect).  So that's just under £1 Mil a year in excess charges that they could have earned.  Basically those numbers show that a phone provider like TT was making about £5.30 per customer per year from scam phone calls.  That's probably, in part, what the £2 fee from TT/BT covers.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos