Menu
se1lad
Dialled in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Black phone dongle for HUB 3 / Ringing Capacitor / Older Phone not ringing

Recently moved my phone to virgin (already have the Hub 3 and V6).  Based on other comments on here I knew I needed to ask for the black phone dongle (which has a ringing capacitor built in) for my older phone to ring when people call.  Engineer who attended had no idea what I was talking about.

I've also phoned into technical support and asked them - they bounced my call to customer services, again no one knew what I was talking about.

Can one of the mods possibly arrange for one to be sent out for me?  Also - looks like there is a bit of a training issue with the engineers/tech support/customer support teams.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Paul_86
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Black phone dongle for HUB 3 / Ringing Capacitor / Older Phone not ringing

What you require is the 21cv conversion dongle thingy... 😂

Can you PM me your acc no and area ref no, I will get in touch with the local FM and ask if he has a spare body to drop one round to you... 

Thanks

Paul 78450

Field tech Guildford region

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

dougman1
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul from Guildford. I live in Bristol and have an identical problem. Just switched, white dongle, no ring tone, etc. After 2.5 hours on the website online chat, I have verified my name and account number a few times, but still not met anyone in the world that is able to help. Please could you advise the quickest way to get one of these black cv1 dongles sent to my home addrss? VMT Doug

0 Kudos
Melissa_F
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi dougman1, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry that you haven't had the help you've needed from our team when you've been texting them.

I would be happy to help you with this. I'll pop you a private message now.

I'll speak to you there.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
dougman1
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Melissa, thanks for the assist.

The technicians arrived promptly and fitted a black dongle (see above), but still the legacy phones with mechanical bells would not ring. A more modern phone with an electronic ring did ring when called, and there was a dial tone on all phones, so this was not about a short circuit in the internal line.

Previously, all 3 had worked from a traditional copper wired landline supply through a master box. Sp we thought maybe the issue might be about there being no ringing capacitor, and tried running the modem cable to a master box and thence to the phones; again dial tone but no ring. 

Later I tried fitting an ADSL broadband microfilter between the dongle and the cable to the 3 phones, and now they are all ringing as they should.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Glad to hear all sorted dougman1 🙂

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
lizard1978
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Oh wow,  that is exactly what I require, spent hours on the phone to support, various levels, none had a clue what I was talking about. I even told them to just google "virgin RJ11 to BT adaptor ringing capacitor" but they still did not understand. 

There does need to be some training done.

Instead they have booked an engineer to come in a week, to diagnose the fault - instead of just sticking a dongle in the post.

Is there a way I can get one quicker or should I just order one from Amazon?

Nb.  Area 31

0 Kudos
lizard1978
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I fixed it my myself, just smooshed an ADSL microfilter inline with the RJ11-BT dongle
0 Kudos
ade11
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I have  the same problem with two 746 phones,both used to ring (they have been converted,I was a GPO telephone engineer in the 70s) now they have stopped. I need a couple of these filters but have no idea where to get them,especially at the moment,are you able to help ?

0 Kudos
ladym66
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Amazon have them for less than a fiver!
0 Kudos