Menu
Starslider
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Billed for phone calls not màde.

For the second month running I'm being charged for 4 phone calls I didn't make. After last month I disconnected the phones from the sockets so it's impossible to make a phone call. Last month they refunded my charge and said if it happens again they will send an engineer out and charge £99 if no fault is found. I've checked previous bills and they have shown the same issue. Can someone please advise? 

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Billed for phone calls not màde.

This issue gets regular mentions on the forum. Some basic info will help.

Do you receive the VM landline service via the back of the hub (a 21CV connection) or via a conventional wall socket?

Do you make regular use of the landline yourself (with known calls which you can account for in your billing)?

Do you normally have a phone plugged into the line?

0 Kudos
Starslider
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Our phone was plugged into the wall socket. We don't use the phone can't remember the last time we did! Since the charge last month I disconnected both phones from the socket and informed Virgin that I was doing this and wanted it noted.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

For a connection via a wall socket, then a crossed wire somewhere has been blamed for this effect in the past on some past posts on here. VM have already given you the default option of an engineer visit with the £99 charge caveat if no fault is found.

I can give you information on other things which have cropped up on here in the past and you can see if any of them might apply to your situation.

Aside from the crossed wire explanation, a past issue on the forum was traced to a call blocking device connected to the line which was dialling out unexpectedly and running up call charges. The same thing could apply to other similar devices such as house alarms, personal/care alarms etc. if you have anything like that connected which might be running up call costs by dialling out unexpectedly.

Are you able to identify any particular dates, times or patterns to the calls being charged for on the VM bills? In some past topics, calls at specific times and to specific numbers or of very short or very long duration were mentioned. Some of the calls were to a whole range of different numbers, some were for premium rate numbers, some charges were for large amounts of money. Looking at the timings and pattern of the calls can sometimes show that you could not have made them.

Have you also tested your landline to check that it is actually working properly and you can call in/out on it and the caller ID for the landline matches the one you are being billed for? A fault on the line of some kind may also help identify the cause.

Are the calls and sums of money enough so that they show up the phone numbers being called on the bill or do they fall into the below 50p cost where the calls are not identified individually?

If your current bills only log the costs greater than 50p, then you can ask VM to apply full itemised billing so you can see the actual number for all calls which may help in the future to identify what is happening on the line.

Unfortunately posts like this usually go off to private message with the VM forum team and clear explanations for the causes of the extra charges are not often shown on the public forum for each case.

One of the VM forum team should be along to assist in due course. They can take up to a week to reply on here but are usually quicker than that.

0 Kudos
Starslider
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for replying. No we do not have any other items connected to our phone line whatsoever. I'll reconnect the phone and call it. All the calls seem to be short and when I asked last month only the last 4 digits were all they could tell us. I've looked on line and lots of people have suffered from identical issues so I am happy to take this a lot further if Virgin do not resolve this.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You are right. From my own observations on here from Sept of last year there have been separate mentions between 1 and 8 times per month of either phantom charges (where it is claimed a phone has never been plugged in or used by the customer) and unexplained charges (which sometimes do actually turn out to have an explanation).

See what the VM forum team can do for you when they get here and take it from there.

0 Kudos
Starslider
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Will do thanks for your help it's most appreciated 

0 Kudos
Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Starslider, 

Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear you have received some unexpected charges on your landline. 

I will need to take a closer look from our side so I am going to pop you over a private message now. 

This message will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page 

Speak soon, 

Nat
0 Kudos