Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Billed for an unknown call

I've had my bill for this month and have an extra charge of 44p. It doesn't list the number because its less than 50p but as far as i know there have been no calls made from the line.
The call time is exactly 1 minute which is also odd.

This isn't actually the first time its happened because back in December i was billed an extra £2.04. One call lasted exactly 6 minutes and the other 2 minutes to the same mobile number (which I don't recognise) at a time I was in bed. I called up asking about this but was told that I would have to pay £100 odd to have an engineer take a look, which would be refunded if a fault was found. I don't have £100 spare to risk this for £2.04 so I left it and the 2 bills following that had no calls.

I'm sure that there is a problem with my phone line but I worry that its so intermittent that an engineer won't find anything and i'll be lumped with a engineer bill without an real way of investigating the issue myself.

The landline is there because its part of my package deal and in the 10 years of having it I've maybe only actually made 1 call that was charged and that was years ago.

Firstly could someone look at my account and find out what number, date and time the call was made to so I can see if its a number I know. Secondly is there any way to have this issue investigated without having to pay the engineer fee?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Billed for an unknown call

Hi Gawfang, 

Really sorry to hear that you've been charged for an unknown call, I can appreciate your frustration and you're keen to know what's going on. 

Is it only one call that has been made or have any more been made since? 

Do you have a landline installed?

If so do you get a dial tone when you pick it up and are you able to dial out? 

If so it is possible it is a fault which we can take a look at. It would be best to give us a call on 150/0345 454 1111 and we can discuss the call further and the charges or book an engineer if needed. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Billed for an unknown call

Hi Emma

As far as I can see its only been that one call, at least when I go to the billing page I don't see any calls listed.
The landline is installed and I do have a phone connected to it. The only time it gets used is to make calls to VM support, 1471 to check numbers and a couple of calls to my mobile phone to check if my new SIM was working but I didn't answer these calls. It does ring from time to time but I never answer it because I haven't actually given the number to anyone. Last month it was actually ringing quite a few times mostly around 8am in the morning however that seems to have stopped.

There is a dial tone and i've been able to make calls ok.

I am considering unplugging the phone to see if calls still get made but it seems to be intermittent.

I did call about the unknown charges the first time it happened but didn't really get anywhere. They said an engineer would need to be sent out to take a look for problems but I would have to pay for that. Due to the relatively small amount of the call charges I didn't want to risk having to pay the engineer fee and not get it back. Also the person on the phone suggested that because the line was working ok when on the call there was a high chance the engineer wouldn't find anything. This is my reason for posting here.

0 Kudos