cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being forced to change to VOIP?

Andaho
Tuning in

I'm being told by virgin staff on the phone that we have to change to the VOIP service, or we will no longer have a phone line.

This is massively inconvenient as I have my virgin hub (which I only use as a modem) at one end of the house, and the phone line, where the phone belongs, at the other side of the house.

I also want to continue using my own router.

I also have concerns about audio quality when the internet connection is bad, and not having a working phone in the event of a power cut or when the internet goes down.

Is it correct that VOIP is being forced upon customers that don't want to change?

75 REPLIES 75

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unfortunately there is really no choice but to move to 21CV. The old POTS technology is being binned by all the telco providers in the UK with a target of 2025 for this to be completed. You won't get copper lines reinstated.

The phone connection on VM hubs does not use the internet. It uses a seperate RF link alongside the DOCSIS system, which removes the twisted pair between the nearest optical node at street level & your home. The rest of the infrastructure currently remains the same. The service can still work if the CMTS system breaks down, so most of the time you would be able to use the phone during an internet outage. The subject of backup systems has been a sore point, with the only OFCOM requirement being a battery emergency backup that allows for contacting the emergency services (999 ONLY), by sending the call onto any available mobile network. Even this only needs to be provided to vulnerable customers.

There haven't been any other posts with your type of issue, & VMs 21CV service has been up & running for some time. In the newer network areas its the only fixed phone service available. If anything I would be looking at the hub as a possible cause of the issue.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Openreach no longer installs ONTs with the battery backup, cost is a third less. So, no benefit in moving away from VM. And the BBU is of no use if the hub/router and cordless phones are not provided with power by the homeowner in the event of a blackout.

Furthermore, PSTN isn't always available during a power cut. I had three power outages in 2019 and in each case I had no dial tone, so it seems to me as if no power was sent down the wire or the MSAN was out of action (unlikely as the nearby power cabinet has the backup battery).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

wares1t
On our wavelength
Ok, so if they use a separate RF field then why, does the line fade when there is high IP utilisation in the area (between 3 PM and 6 PM) the landline bugs out and drops calls. I've had stuttering calls, other parties not hearing me, even though I can hear them quite clearly. And I'm on VIVID500, so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue to the local node, NO?

I've had tech support look into this, with no way of resolving the issue. Chocolate fireguard springs to mind here!

For clarity, I have my VoIP service set up, and at these times, there's very little to no downward quality impairment and certainly no dropping of calls. If this was the case as you suggest, would you not think the situation would be reversed?? At no point have tech support suggested an engineer replace the HUB3 and I would welcome that.

Copper lines worked perfectly fine and as a consumer who pays the line rental, I would have thought we had at least some say in the matter? Forcing me to switch to a different technology is just asking for trouble and as I say, I don't think the VoIP service is fit for use as a service I depend on.

No, I'm not vulnerable, no I'm in no way saying I would NEED the line in case of emergencies, I have a mobile for that, So I don't fit the criteria for a backup and I most certainly do not think it would make any difference at all.

It just seems like the technology and equipment being used is not able to cope with the sheer demands being thrown at it.

So basically, I'm fubar'd

I was still subscribed to this thread and found it interesting to read all the replies about your issue.

So I thought I'd give an update on my situation:

I had to install my own line from the router to where the phone is: It involved moving furniture, lifting carpets and floorboards, and took a whole afternoon - but it's a neat job and enabled the phone and router to stay where they were. It was just an inconvenience to have this forced on me, when I didn't want to spend an afternoon doing all that work.

The new phone service:

I noticed immediately that there is a distinct delay compared to the old PTSN line (about half a second) - but I quickly got used to it.

I too have experienced the odd phone call dropping out and occasional diminished quality similar to when using a mobile phone in poor signal.

It's pretty much exactly what I expected, and was why I didn't want to change. Technology these days seems to be rushed out before it's reliable (or maybe it's always been like that). I am a big fan of the KISS principle (Keep It Simple, Stupid) - and hate how tech these days seems to be getting over-complicated, sacrificing reliability - but I guess that's just the world we live in now.

wares1t
On our wavelength

Yes I totally agree with the KISS principles. 
in fact I think so many companies could learn a lot from it!

So I finally spoken to customer relations manager who saw this thread. Going for a hub swap, which I am to do myself. I hope this cures the choppy audio and calls dropping, but I remain open minded!

wares1t
On our wavelength

To add insult to injury, my service went offline at 5:42pm this evening. No internet, no catchup tv and no landline. 

So I guess the ‘your phone may still work if internet is interrupted’ didn’t suffice.

Perhaps now my issues will be taken into consideration now? Or do I actually need to call to disconnect? The saga continues!!

Hi wares1t,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having. 

I have taken a look on our side and I am unable to see anything that could be affecting your service. 

Are you continually having issues since your post? 

^Martin

Anonymous
Not applicable
No tech is simple. You just don't see the back end. Using a voip system is alit simpler then POTS lines

wares1t
On our wavelength

Yes Martin since literally changing over to the voip service on 3rd feb. Constant choppy audio, calls abandoning after 45 mins, one sided audio the works. 

internet came back up around 5am this morning and now down again. Been like this for 3 hours again.

I suppose this ‘new issue’ doesn’t count toward my automatic credit too? No thought not. 

Seriously bad now. Thinking metronet might be my next port of call!