cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for calls not made

PatW1
Joining in

Hi,

It appears I'm now being charged for calls I'm not making on the landline phone. This has started with my June bill and it appears to be happening with my July bill.

Usage Charges - June - 37 calls totalling 3 minutes 46 seconds - £7.10

So on average a call of 6 seconds each time - which doesn't make any sense.

Usage Charges - July - 41 calls totalling 5 minutes 2 seconds - £8.12

On an average a call of 7 seconds each time - again, that doesn't make any sense.

I have not used the phone anywhere near that number of times. The landline is rarely used.

Can anyone advise what can be done to rectify this and refund these charges?

Thanks,

14 REPLIES 14

Reece_MH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @PatW1,

Thanks for your post, and a warm welcome to the Forums.

Sorry to hear you've had some unexpected charges for calls you didn't mean. So we can investigate this further, I'm going to send you a private message to gather some more details.

Please look out for it in the top-right of the Forums, in the purple envelope.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

goslow
Hero

@PatW1 wrote:

Hi,

It appears I'm now being charged for calls I'm not making on the landline phone. This has started with my June bill and it appears to be happening with my July bill.

Usage Charges - June - 37 calls totalling 3 minutes 46 seconds - £7.10

So on average a call of 6 seconds each time - which doesn't make any sense.

Usage Charges - July - 41 calls totalling 5 minutes 2 seconds - £8.12

On an average a call of 7 seconds each time - again, that doesn't make any sense.

I have not used the phone anywhere near that number of times. The landline is rarely used.

Can anyone advise what can be done to rectify this and refund these charges?

Thanks,

Multiple calls of short duration are one of the classic characteristics of phantom call charges (usually at all hours of the day and night).

Does your phone connect via the hub or via a traditional wall socket?

Does the bill identify any of the numbers being called?

Do you have any other devices connected to your line which might have generated charges by dialling out (such as call blockers, burlar alarms, care alarms etc.?

Hi goslow,

Phone line connects via the traditional wall socket.

The number(s) are not identified on the bill as they appear to be below my itemisation limit. (Less than 50p)

No other devices attached.

Thanks,

Hi there PatW1.

Thanks for posting on our forum page and sorry to hear about the issue with the calls and charges.
Indeed, we are unable to view the number for any calls made under 50p cost.

Could you please tell us if you have made any changes to your package with us recently?
Also, have you checked with everyone in the property to ensure these calls have not been made from another person?

Let us know of the above and we will best assist with your issue.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Adri,

I changed package in October 2021. These new charges have only arisen from June 2022 onwards.

No one else has been making these phonecalls within the property.

Thanks,

@PatW1 wrote:

Hi goslow,

Phone line connects via the traditional wall socket.

The number(s) are not identified on the bill as they appear to be below my itemisation limit. (Less than 50p)

No other devices attached.

Thanks,

This does not sound like it is anything due to package changes.

Phantom call charges have averaged out at about 3 or 4 topics a month on here in the past.

For a connection via a traditional wall socket, a 'crossed line' is often put forward as the explanation.

In one past case, the customer's next door neighbour was connected to the line and was running up call costs.

VM generally offer to send a technician to investigate and refund where this is found to be the case that you are experiencing phantom call charges. Some similar past examples here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/charged-for-call-despite-talk-anytime-and-calls-not-...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Charged-for-calls-I-didn-t-make/m-p/4917581

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Unexpected-monthly-telephone-charges/td-p/4975820

Common features of phantom calls are calls of very short duration, often all hours of the day and night, often for exactly the same duration of a few seconds only.

Interestingly, a lot of the old forum content on this subject seems to have been conveniently 'archived' and has been removed from view so there are far fewer references to go back to.

Hopefully VM will arrange for this to be investigated for you, resolved and a refund provided.

If they fail to do that, you have the option to submit a DSAR and demand all outgoing call info for your line.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/dsar

Call Records
Outgoing calls from the service provided number for 12 months (Calls made from your number over a 12 month period) - This does not include any non-chargeable calls i.e. calls to 0800, 112, 999 and 911

You could/should also get VM to remove the 50p cost threshold so you get to see all chargeable calls (which there should not be a cost for AFAIK, VM forum team need to confirm). That won't help for the above issue bit will help in future if the issue persists.

Thanks for that goslow - very helpful!

A Virgin team member has reached out to take my details for an engineer visit - so hopefully they will get down to the bottom of it.

Hi @PatW1,

Thanks for your hasty response to my private messages. And thank you to @goslow for providing further information on what the potential cause may be. Please let me know how you get on after the Technician's visit so we can assist further in getting these charges sorted.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hi Reece,

I had the technician come to my home and they could find no fault with the equipment.

1) - I have raised a DSAR to ascertain what these calls related to.

2) - If possible, can my billing itemisation limit be lowered so that I can see these numbers on billing?

3) - How do I go about getting these charges refunded for the June and July bills?

Thanks,