Menu
JenHem43
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Being bombarded by nuisance calls

Since yesterday we’ve received at least 20 calls to our home phone from different numbers. I answered a couple of times and on 2 occasions they claimed to be from Virgin and wanted me to do something with our router. I challenged and the phone cut off and the second time he called from a different number saying he wanted to do the same thing. Have checked on Virgin’s website and no issues with service. 

Is there anyway to report these where they’re claiming to be from Virgin? Have checked ofcom and action fraud.

0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Being bombarded by nuisance calls

These are scam callers and are not from VM. Their aim is to trick you that there is a fault with your broadband service. They convince you into allowing remote access to your computer and, from there, typically try to steal money from you by accessing your online banking or they may disable your computer and demand a ransom fee to unlock it.

There is little/no point in reporting the calls in regard to reducing the number of calls you are receiving. Best approach is to hang up immediately and certainly do not allow them any access to your home computer.

The most effective way to deal with them is via a call screening device such as trueCall or one of the BT Premium phone ranges which use trueCall technology. These screen the calls and filter out the automated scam callers. You programme in your own list of contacts and these come through straightaway without any filtering. Anyone else calling is screened and filtered before the device decides whether to ring your phone or not.

0 Kudos