Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Beimg changed to voip

Hi,

I have had a telephone line installed and it is connected to my router. I don't want this as i need my telephone line because the home alarm system and monitoring is connected to the telephone line socket. How do i go about changing this? Upon setting up the landline contract novody informed me that this would be a voip setup, had I known i would have moved to a different provider. I have called virgin numerous times and each time i am on hold for an hour only for the call to be disconnected, this has been happening for months.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Beimg changed to voip

You should have had it made clear whichever way you signed up. How did you join Virgin Media?

This is shown during the online ordering process 

Your new telephone service will be delivered by our fibre broadband network

This means that you won’t be able to make or receive calls if there’s a power cut or network outage, and any device connected to the line like a telehealth device, care alarm, fire alarm or security alarm won’t work. Please check with your device provider to ensure your equipment is compatible with our line. Always keep a charged mobile phone handy for emergencies and please let us know if you have accessibility needs or feel vulnerable. 

Find out more about our new fibre phone line at virginmedia.com/virginphone

Unfortunately there is no alternative to the Hub line with Virgin Media, all new phone installs are via the Hub.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Rising star
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Beimg changed to voip

@Ferzana wrote:

Hi,

I have had a telephone line installed and it is connected to my router. I don't want this as i need my telephone line because the home alarm system and monitoring is connected to the telephone line socket. How do i go about changing this? Upon setting up the landline contract novody informed me that this would be a voip setup, had I known i would have moved to a different provider. I have called virgin numerous times and each time i am on hold for an hour only for the call to be disconnected, this has been happening for months.

All suppliers are moving to the new technology of VOIP and the target date for the old telephone network to be replaced is 2025. There are a few web links below which explain.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/future-of-landline-calls

https://www.futureofvoice.co.uk/

There are ways to connect your alarm system to the new 21CV landline. This post below outlines what needs to be done but it can be a bit involved to make all the necessary connections for it to work

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Anyway-to-use-existing-extensions-in-hous...

It is also worth noting that, in the event of a power cut, the VM hub would go off and the 21CV phone connection will not work and your alarm would not be able to dial out anyway so, even if you can connect the alarm to the new 21CV landline, there are still limitations to how it would operate.

Most alarm companies are gradually moving their customers to systems which use SIM/mobile connections from the battery backup within the alarm to get around this problem. You might want to discuss with your alarm company what options they have for this.

Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Being changed to voip

I am a vulnerable person. When i purchased the landline i was not informed that the service is  delivered via VOIP. Had i known, i would have gone with another provider. I didn't ask because i wasnt aware that Virgin have changed their telephony technology. I had Virgin a year ago and they didnt have Voip then. I can't really ask a question about something if I wasn't aware. Had i known, believe me, alarm bells would have rang. 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I joined by calling customer services

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @Ferzana 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry that you were not informed that the landlines for customers are moving over to VOIP. 

There is a solution to this we are able to provide something called an EBUL, were if there were to be an outage you would still be able to use the landline services. 

I can most certainly take a look into getting one of these out to you should you wish? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Just as a side not the Emergency Backup Unit will only allow 999 calls see this guide page 35 https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Apologies for any confusion,

I should have been a little clearer on this.

As @DJ_shaddow1966 has advised the EBUL would only allow 999 calls. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes please, would there be a charge for this and what is Ebul? I also have 3 disabled people in the household. Thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The EBUL is the emergency backup system that VM use it has an in built battery and connects to the strongest mobile signal to allow you to make 999 calls only. There is no charge for this.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos