Menu
MatildaAnna
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Beginning to despair...

My 89 year old mother's landline stopped working over 2 weeks ago. We call and it just keeps ringing endlessly. At her end, she picks it up and gets a garbled noise.

She, my husband and I have spent hours on the phone to Virgin trying to get it fixed. We've had 3 engineers out so far. Each has run tests and said that it needs investigation by digging in the road and that they will send someone.

She was told that a 4th engineer would be there yesterday afternoon (5th October) between 12pm and 4pm. No-one turned up. She spent an hour on the phone until she was finally told that someone would investigate and call her back. They didn't, but she finally got a text saying that the appointment had been postponed to 20th October! By then she will have had no phone for over a month.

The lockdown has damaged my mother mentally. She lives on her own. She is OBSESSING about not having a phone. She calls me in tears 3 or 4 times a day. Her senior's alarm, which she wears around her neck in case she falls or otherwise needs help, depends on a working phone line - so she simply doesn't feel safe.

She has an old Nokia mobile and can just about cope on it, but her friends are trying to call her and thinking she just isn't answering.

I am once again on the phone to Virgin now, pretending to be my mother (as that's the only way we can talk to them). I have been holding while someone investigates for 43 minutes so far.

We have had a Virgin TV / Broadband / phone line package for many years and I moved my mother over to the same a few years ago. But I am so unhappy with what is happening now. I just don't know what to do next.

0 Kudos
MatildaAnna
Tuning in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Beginning to despair...

Just as a follow up - some finally spoke to me after 55 minutes and told me that 2 men are coming to replace the cable outside my mother's property on 20th October and that they cannot do it any sooner. So that will be 5 weeks after she first reported her line down, and after 3 engineers visiting and saying that the cable outside needed to be replaced.

For shame, Virgin Media.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This is a truly distressing story. I'm not here to defend VM. VIPs are ordinary VM users who have a special status on this Forum because VM value the advice we give. What I will do is bring this to the attention  VM team who do work here so they can act on it more quickly than usual.  Hopefully the team will be able to establish the reason for the delay in rectifying this fault. But ultimately we all rely on the local repair and construction teams to get this done. If it looks like that some of  the public highway has to be dug up VM will need local council permission to do this. That takes time.  Let us see where this takes us. One final tip. When it is fixed you must make sure that your mother gets on to VM's priority repair list. The VM team here will advise how best to do this, but normally it just requires a phone call to register.

Watch this thread for a response from the VM team. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Looks like my reply was overtaken by events. It is probably of no comfort but VM are faced with a backlog of repairs inherited from the days of the strict lockdown.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

MatildaAnna
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply @HowardML. Much appreciated.

No-one explained to us that VM would need permission to dig - it is helpful to know that. I have passed that on to my mother now and it has immediately calmed her down a little.

Having spoken during this process to the people on the VM telephone team, one thing I would say is that they aren't customer friendly at all - not one of them has tried to reassure, explain, apologise for a missed appointment or delay. I find it hard to cope with but my mother was really struggling ... which is why I had to take over. A little respect for her age and a careful and considerate explanation would have gone a long way I think.

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi MatildaAnna, i am sorry to hear what has happened and we want to get this resolved in a timely manner, I will send you a private message so that this can be looked into further. Chris 

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No worries, hopefully this will be resolved soon. ^Chris 

0 Kudos