Menu
shortsigh
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Bad Landline connection

Hi,

My phone connection is crackiling like a nightmare. I have tried 2 different models of phone but they both have the same issue. Can barely hear the person on the other end talk.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bad Landline connection

Sounds like you are connecting via a regular telephone wall socket (rather than the back of the VM hub). Also sounds like you probably have a noisy line fault on your landline connection.

If you are connected via a regular telephone wall socket, have you tired plugging into the 'test' socket of the VM master socket? This is accessed by removing the lower front plate of the VM master socket, which should disconnect any home extension wiring and allow you to plug the phone direct into the incoming VM line (as per example last pic on the link below, showing an Openreach master socket)

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/broadband-phone/guide-to-phone-sockets

(Phone connections via earlier cable companies' wiring might be different from the above, via a range of different wall boxes, which might not be possible to disconnect from home extension wiring)

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi shortsigh,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue with your landline. 

I have been able to locate your account and cannot see anything showing as affecting this. 

Have you been able to try the recommends by goslow? 

^Martin

shortsigh
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, i found the master plug socket under the plate, plugged the phone in but this made no difference, in fact things have got worse it seems. Either when plugging into the master or normal socket i cannot dial out now. When phoning the landline from a mobile it rings but when answered nothing there (not even any crackling ), when the phone is put down it rings again as the mobile used to call the landline doesnt seem to recognise the landline has been picked up so continues to connect.

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us shortsigh,

Can you please advise me when this fault started to effect your services? 

I can see that there's an outage in your local area, that's due to be resolved on 06/05/21 at 16:00 that I'm curious to know if this may be causing the noisy line

Kindest regards,

David

shortsigh
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi ,

Crackling started a while ago, not being able to dial out started over a week ago. Spoke to an engineer outside my place on another job , he suggested i ask Virgin for a new router so i can plug my phone into the broadband connection, guess i'll do that.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to us on this one shortsigh. 

As this has been happening for a while, I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for coming back to me via private message to confirm your address. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. We cannot confirm the appointment time slot publicly, so to view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM

If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

shortsigh
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks guys and gals,

Nice chap from Virgin media turned up about half an hour ago a replaced the old connections in the box downstairs. Phone works perfectly now.

Thanks for all you help.

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @shortsigh

That's great news, so pleased to hear this 🙂

Don't hesitate to pop back on the Forums should you have any other issues. 

Enjoy your weekend!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team