Menu
paulsm
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

BT8500 Call Guardian

Hi

After recently moving from Sky to Virgin we have noticed that the call guardian feature on our BT8500 handsets isn't filtering any calls anymore. The handset is set to 'announce' calls not in our contact list on our phone but the number of nuisance calls are starting to creep up.

We have caller display set on our Virgin account so wondered if our handsets are incompatible with Virgin?

Many thanks 

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: BT8500 Call Guardian

Hi Cliveorr1,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry to hear your BT phone is no longer working as it was when with BT.

As call guardian is a BT feature this isn't supported with Virgin, as you have caller display this will work as long as you have a compatible hand set.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
BT4
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

BT handset don't work correctly with virgin phone systems. we have the same problems and lots of nuisance calls on virgin phone.

..that's of course when the phone works at all..

Always read the manual as a last resort.

there are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont
0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, BT4 

When you say "..that's of course when the phone works at all..

Do you need to us to look into this for you, and are you referring to the actual service?

Gareth_l  

0 Kudos
SuperCC
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have just ported from BT to virgin and have voip on a new homehub 4 - my BT call guardian is still working fine.  unknown callers are receiving the default BT message and if they leave their name the phone will ring at announce it and let me take the call.  I have turned it off and confirmed that the phone rings for unknown calls then turned it back on again and checked that it works.  BT call guardian must therefore be a function of the handset and not network dependant.

0 Kudos
SuperCC
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hmm - Just to add to my previous post - I have run some end to en tests and call guardian isn't fully working on Virgin so I have disabled it on my handset.  The calls were being correctly blocked and those not in contacts or block list were being given the option to provide caller details and press hash - once done the call was being connected.  The only issue was that after a call the line was not being released correctly and the handset still claimed that a call guardian call was in progress and asked if I wanted to join it.  This was easily clearable by pressing the hang-up button twice but without full functionality I have chosen to disable.  The call guardian worked well under BT and reduced the call number and we are TPS covered so lets hope ...

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Does the base station for your BT8500 Call Guardian plug directly into the back of the hub or is it connected via any internal home extension sockets (which may have been converted and linked into the new hub by the technician when it was originally set up)?

0 Kudos
SuperCC
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi - It plugs directly into the back of the Hub4

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I asked because I had the exact same issue with a trueCall device holding the line open when on the end of an extension when processing a call. Moved it to the master socket and it worked.

There was a long post here about BT Call Guardian phones on a 21CV connection and issues with them processing the calls correctly

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/BT-Premiun-Phone-handset-Trucall-and-VOIP/m-p/434054...

The OP never fed back a final outcome but hinted at some improvement by using the 'Custom' setup on the phone where you specify an action for each category of call rather than using the pre-set configurations. If you are minded to experiment some more you could try experimenting with the custom settings to see if it helps with the processing of the calls any.

There are often posts on the forum about BT and Panasonic cordless phones and caller ID/blocking issues. Unfortunately, they often end up with BT support blaming VM caller ID and VM support blaming the BT phone.

BT also offer a helpline for branded products listed here

https://shop.bt.com/help/returns-and-refunds/bt-products-technical-help,-user-guides-and-after-sales...

You could give them a try to see if they can advise on the line clearance problem when screening is happening.

VM staff will hopefully respond but it can take up to a week. If your phone works OK with Call Guardian off then it does sound like a phone issue rather than a line issue.

0 Kudos
SuperCC
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I switched it back on and did a bit more testing - it appears to work fine now - just Skype numbers that don't hang up the line correctly but you can clear them by pressing the red call clear button twice post a call.  Odd  but I didn't bother testing to see if this was just a general clearance issue.

0 Kudos