Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

BT landline answering machine not working on Virgin Media line

My elderly parents have a Virgin Media landline.  Their landline phone was ancient so I bought them a new one - a BT 4600.  The phone works fine but the answering machine doesn't.  I rang BT who replaced the phone but the second one doesn't work either.  We checked it on a friend's line and it works fine so there's nothing wrong with the phone.  I rang BT again, they said there must be something wrong with the line so I should ask Virgin to test the line.  I rang Virgin who tested the line and said it was fine so there must be something wrong with the phone!  So in an nutshell BT blame Virgin and Virgin blame BT, meanwhile my parents have no answering machine.  I would even consider buying a Virgin phone but it doesn't look as if they make them.  Can anyone help please?!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BT landline answering machine not working on Virgin Media line

You have done some comprehensive tests and are on your second phone and have established the phone works elsewhere.

Was the friend's line a VM line or BT line? If BT, can you test on another nearby VM landline? If that worked it would point to an issue on your parents' VM line.

Is the connection on a conventional telephone socket on the wall or via a telephone connection from the back of the hub? If it is a conventional telephone socket are you connecting to the main/master socket or on extension wiring?

Overwhelming reviews and Q&A's on Amazon suggest the phone should work on VM. Only two links I could find below report something similar.

https://community.bt.com/t5/The-Lounge/BT-Answer-machine-not-answering/td-p/1935127

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/BT-4600-trio-phones-silly-ringing-sound-that-affects...

Second link seems to have been a line fault requiring some more-in-depth fault finding to correct

Incidentally, have you tested the call blocking features of the phone on the VM line? Do they work reliably or not (for a witheld number for example)? A couple of recent posts on the forums have mentioned issues regarding the BT range of phones with trueCall built in on VM landlines. Might be worth testing for any as-yet-unseen issues at the same time as the answering machine issue.

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: BT landline answering machine not working on Virgin Media line

Many thanks, that's very helpful of you.

I think the friend's line was also a VM line, but that is a good point so I will check with my parents.

The connection is a conventional phone socket, as they do not have a hub, just phone and TV, and it's the master socket not an extension.

I haven't tested the call blocking features but that is a good idea too.  I am visiting in a couple of weeks time so will test them then.

Thanks again.

John

0 Kudos