cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Premium phone no longer works after switchover

myss
Up to speed

Apologies if this issue has been raised already. I've seen a similar thread on this phone but it seemed to be about different issue.

I've had this home phone for years and it was working fine until the switchover to the fibre network a couple weeks ago. I've read on this forum that some with BT phones might not ring or some other facility on it might not work as usual but my home phone is not working at all and gives the error message "line in use. A call cannot be made".

As mentioned in another thread, two VM technicians were at my home today and one of them tried to help by resetting the phone and by testing the cable connection to the new hub, but neither resolved the issue. 

I was just wondering if anyone else had the same issue and managed to resolve it. Or even if they have the same phone but NOT the same issue and that would perhaps suggest that my phone is faulty. Thanks for reading so far!

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@myss wrote:

Apologies if this issue has been raised already. I've seen a similar thread on this phone but it seemed to be about different issue.

I've had this home phone for years and it was working fine until the switchover to the fibre network a couple weeks ago. I've read on this forum that some with BT phones might not ring or some other facility on it might not work as usual but my home phone is not working at all and gives the error message "line in use. A call cannot be made".

As mentioned in another thread, two VM technicians were at my home today and one of them tried to help by resetting the phone and by testing the cable connection to the new hub, but neither resolved the issue. 

I was just wondering if anyone else had the same issue and managed to resolve it. Or even if they have the same phone but NOT the same issue and that would perhaps suggest that my phone is faulty. Thanks for reading so far!

Has the line ever worked since it was switched to the back of the hub?

Your multi-post on your other topic referred to an intermittent area fault. Was that ever fixed?

Did the technicians who were with you today plug in a test phone of their own to check the line and confirm it was working?

Hi goslow,

To answer your questions:

The line has worked ever since I received the adaptor from VM to put in the back of the hub.

The area fault seems to be resolved as there's nothing on the status check and a bog-standard £5 ordinary phone I'm using at the moment shows the the phone line since switchover is working.

The technician is also test the line with their test phone and it worked fine.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@myss wrote:

Hi goslow,

To answer your questions:

The line has worked ever since I received the adaptor from VM to put in the back of the hub.

The area fault seems to be resolved as there's nothing on the status check and a bog-standard £5 ordinary phone I'm using at the moment shows the the phone line since switchover is working.

The technician is also test the line with their test phone and it worked fine.

If the line works with a simple handset then you need to look elsewhere for the fault.

The BT Premium phone does get lots of mentions on here with problems. There is a 'nuclear' reset option here at message #17.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/bt-premium-phone-call-blocking/td-p/5237535/page/2

BUT, if you do that, it will wipe your phone back to factory settings so you will lose your contacts, call screening settings and other phone configuration. There seems to be a Bluetooth option though to re-sync contacts from mobile. So, be aware of all that lot if you try it and use at your own risk.

Also make sure the satellite handset batteries are fully charged when testing.

On the page footer of the manual

https://shop.bt.com/content/uni2/documentation/d93t/premium_phone_quick_set-up_and_user_guide.pdf

there is a freephone 0800 number for product support for that model. You could see if they have any wisdom to share on why the phone isn't working.

Hey myss, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear you are having some issues with the phone.

Have you tried to use a different phone to see if that is the issue?

I would also reach out via the free number above to see if they have any advice on this.

Once you have spoke to them, please do reach out with an update. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Thanks goslow. Coincidentally I decided after my last message above to take out the handset batteries and the plug from the phone's handsets and have just now put them back. Amazingly not only do I have a dial tone and can also hear the home phones ring for incoming calls. Weirdly there was a silent message on the answering machine..... Oh well!

I'm not fully convinced it's all back up to scratch but it seems like I won't be forking out for a new phone just yet!

Thanks again - and to you too Matthew.👍

Thank you for the update @myss 

Please do let us know if you have any further issues and we would be happy to help 🙂

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide