Menu
Highlighted
rayanpatel
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

BBU Top Up

Hi there,

I had my VM installation today for Broadband and Phone. I also was advised during a Pre-Install Visit by a VM Engineer to request a BBU to be added which is an emergency backup telephone line if we ever have a power cut.

There seems to be some confusion around whether the built in PAYG sim in the BBU requires to be topped up. I have recieved different messages from different VM Engineers. The main need for the BBU is because my Alarm system has a Dialer so in an event it is set off it calls my mobile (and others). Now I understand as with any sim it doesnt need any credit for emergency services to be called - so a little confused why one engineer advised to top up and others have not and there is no instructions in the box or provided.

Grateful for some clarity on this.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BBU Top Up

Hello

The battery backup unit is only for 999 calls no other calls can be made. All the info regarding it is here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone#emergencybackupline

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
rayanpatel
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks Mike, I have come across those FAQ's.

I am just uncertain why the Pre-Install Engineer advised that it can be used for non-emergency calls by topping up the sim. Also the engineers who attended today to install were under the impression that it did not need to be topped up as it is a service being provided by VM and that they have installed it in houses where it is used for the elderly where it calls a call centre for lifeline support so this suggests it works for non emergency numbers.

Grateful for any further clarity.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Super solver
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello

It doesn't need a topup, it only works for 999 and 112 calls as stated in the guides. I don't know why you were told that it works for non emergency calls when it doesn't. The way it works it connects to the strongest mobile phone network any network in fact, so even if one of the mobile networks are down it will still work.

Regards Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello rayanpatel

Thanks for posting your query and welcome to the forum.

As advised by Dj_Shadow1966 all SIM are able to make calls to the emergency services on 999 or 112 whether that is from a mobile or the BBU. This is the same across all providers.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Rob

0 Kudos
rayanpatel
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all.

I might just give it a try and test the theory one day when I get a moment though. 🙂

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No problem rayanpatel, if you need us again in the future please don't hesitate to get in touch 🙂

Rob