Menu
markcarsonboxz
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Attempting to get a dialled number - do I need an SAR?

I received a call that was intended as an attempt to get my bank card details. I was almost fooled. A very believable call with the right automated responses and checks. If I hadn't been 'clued' to this going on I would have lost all my money.

I have a technological-disadvantaged phone on which I received the call and the number I dialled (to tell them exactly how I felt about them) is no longer stored. I would like to get this number to report this correctly to my bank. This is the only instance of this report and I would like to do everything I can to prevent vulnerable people from fraud/theft/hardship.

Since I have an inclusive package, numbers dialled included are not on the bill. Do I need to request, legally, a Subject Access Request (SAR) for numbers dialled out over the last 7 days or is this something that VM may assist with - I do not want to waste time nor cause problems, I just need to get one/two number(s) to provide to my bank for investigation to prevent fraud.

Given the coronavirus lockdown and lower numbers of staff, should I be required to complete an SAR, what is the likelihood that I, and my bank, can have visibility of one/two number(s) sourcing this fraud.

I am flabbergasted as to how detailed and convincing the call I received was. I would hate to think that people are going to lose money by me not being able to report it.

0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Attempting to get a dialled number - do I need an SAR?

This post from earlier in the week may help answer your question

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Record-of-outgoing-landline-calls/td-p/4565795

When you dialled the now-lost scam number(s) you are seeking, did you actually make contact with anyone?

Often the caller ID used for scam calls are fake and the numbers do not exist. There have also been mentions on the forums of real numbers belonging to innocent people totally unconnected with the scam being misused as fake caller ID by the scammers.

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Attempting to get a dialled number - do I need an SAR?

Hey @markcarsonboxz,

Sorry to hear that you have had a scam call, we all know how frustrating this can be.

Has the information from @goslow helped you out?

If you still need further assistance about this, I can look into this further for you and provide the information that you need. Please let me know if you still need my help.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos